Back to DEX 3 Support Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

jahman26
    Participant

Hi as i mentioned in a previous posting that whenever i do file editing DEX 3 does not update the files which you said to delete data base.
    The problem is i lose all history and any playlist i have created. can you not create a way of updating the data base just as we are able to delete dead file.
    Thanks

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Are you saying that when you edit a track’s title/artist data in DEX 3, it doesn’t display immediately in DEX 3? It won’t change the files on your hard drive when you make edits in DEX 3, it only changes the listing in the DB (locally).

What version of DEX 3 are you running?

Not real clear on what you mean by “way of updating the database” unfortunately. You can add more files to the DB anytime you wish. But I don’t think that’s what you mean!

Please let me know.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Sorry, I missed something! That is correct. If you edit tags outside of DEX 3, after the files have already been imported (and a custom ID applied to the track by DEX 3 in the DB) than DEX 3 will not display the changes. You would have to clear the DB and re-import. No real way around that unfortunately.

You can try exporting your playlists and re-import them after updating the DB (each one would have to be done individually). Not 100% sure that would work as the old tag data may still appear in the saved playlists once re-imported.

jahman26
    Participant

Thanks for getting back.
    if i rip a cd data base picks it up but if i go back edit it via explorer DEX3 does not pick up the changes.
    it is easier to edit via explore should i need to label a bunch of tunes.
    I am running 3.9

jahman26
    Participant

ok that’s my main problem
    Thanks

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Yes, so your workflow should be handled differently then. Edit the file names/tags BEFORE you access or import the files into DEX 3.

What ripping application are you using? You should edit the file names/tags in the ripping application BEFORE you actually start the ‘rip’. Edit the file names/tags before you start ripping the CD and the information will be applied to both the tracks file name AND the tag.

jahman26
    Participant

Hi yes i understand but this means that a later dated should i want to make some changes i can’t without having to lose all history and playlist.
    if there is any down side to the software this is it. unable to refresh files. but loving everything else.

Regards

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Gotcha, but if you apply correct tag data when you rip the disc you will never need to update the tags? When you get songs from a record pool today, such as BPM supreme, they include ALL the correct meta data (artist, title, genre, bpm, key, year, etc). I can’t recall a single time I’ve had to make a correction on a file tag outside of DEX 3 honestly.

Regardless, we have already discussed a type of recurse function that would re-scan your files for updated tag data. It was really for auto-updating the DB for any folders you previously imported, but in theory it would work for your request too!

jahman26
    Participant

Hi
    I look forward to the function that will enable us to re-scan the files.
    last thing I have to say regarding what you stated about labelling correctly first time. I don’t get my records from any form of record pool. all me tunes are from CDs. I do a radio show and can get cds hours before i go on air. only have time to rip them. then after show would be great to edit them correctly and update. a lot of reggae cds do not self label.

Once again look forward to this been on the software. DEX3 best on the market.

DJ Wrighty

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Thanks! But again, when you RIP the disc you have the opportunity to type in the tag data. You do this BEFORE you convert the file. Any decent ripping application will allow this – and often they will pull down the tag data automatically for you. I say save yourself the time/effort and type in the tags prior to clicking CONVERT/RIP in your ripping application.

daviemarks
    Participant

Hi, I too require the ability to rescan the database as I regularly change metadata to reflect the use of individual tracks.
    This is for historical reasons as my previous playout software allowed me to catagorise and tag tunes for a quick filter and allowed custom buttons to show subsets of my library depending on the tags. I am just starting to use dex and I am sure I will be able to figure out a way of doing this but I haven’t yet.
    I would reall like the ability to rescan the DB to pick up any changes in the metadata.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.