Back to DEX 3 Support Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Ronzo
    Participant

I recently updated to the latest version of Dex. I really enjoy the new karaoke features, as well as the shades.

Unfortunately, i’m now experiencing random crashes. The screen will say that PCDJ needs to close.

I’m using a Dell Alien-ware laptop, which is beyond the minimal specs required to have. And it ran great until the recent update.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Ronzo

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Sorry to hear that. We’re not seeing support tickets that would indicate this is a ‘normal’ issue with v3.11.0.1. Are you using Shaders? That’s the only thing that’s ‘new’ and they can be very GPU intensive. Have you made sure DEX 3 is using your dedicated graphics card for all DEX 3 graphics processing? Here’s how you can, if not: https://www.pcdj.com/making-sure-dex3-vdj-software-uses-dedicated-graphics-card-windows/

You can also select “no shader’ from the shader drop down menu and see if the crashes still occur. Are you doing anything in particular when the crash/es happen?

You may want to submit a support ticket on this as well so support/development can review – do that on this page:
    http://dex3.pcdj.com/

Also, do you use a DJ controller or pro audio usb interface?

azrandyusa
    Participant

I, too am having a problem with crashing. I’m a new user and the program was fine for the first 3 shows, but it crashed this week. When I reopened the program, it quickly crashed again. Thankfully, I still had my old karaoke hosting software on my laptop and switched over to it.
    I do not use shaders.
    I will try your instructions for adjusting the graphics card settings and see if that solves the problem.
    I am using a Gateway NE56R50u laptop with 4 gig memory and Intel HD graphics 3000.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Hello, azrandyusa.

The machine you’re using is under-spec for DEX 3. The processor speed is below the 2.5 minimum. The 4GB of RAM is the bare minimum. With the processor/RAM combo, you may only be able to import around 120,000 songs total into DEX 3. The tag/search cache (internal database) won’t have enough breathing room buffered into RAM. I really recommend an i5 or i7, 2.5ghz or above, a minimum of 8GB of RAM (more if you have a very large library) and if you’re using HD quality content, a dedicated graphics card is required. Your machine is not equipped with one unfortunately (they are gamer type machines).

Ronzo
    Participant

Hey Ryan,

Thanks for getting right back to me. I cant specifically remember what I was doing every-time the crashes occur, but this morning I was using one of the the shaders right before it crashed. I was just playing my last song of the night.

I went ahead and turned off the shaders, and I set my video card to the NVIDIA graphics card.

Also, I’m using a PCDJ Dac-3 controller.

Thanks again,

Ronzo

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Thanks! If DEX 3 wasn’t assigned to use your Nvidia card, than it was using your other shared graphics card to process the shader – that could have cause it, possibly anyway. Let me know how things go moving forward!

Ronzo
    Participant

Hey Ryan,

Since switching my graphic card to Nvidia, everything was working good. Unfortunately, I had 4 sudden crashes while playing last night. Twice I noticed when I hit the x button to clear the search bar it went to a Red color and said the program needs to close. Any thoughts on this? I was just getting ready to implement my Dell Allienware laptops for my Weddings, but now I’ll have to wait a little longer to see whats going on with these crashes.

Any thoughts or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Ronzo

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Did you add RAM? The RAM is what manages the search cache (and likely why there is a crash when existing search etc). It sounds like 4GB simply won’t be enough to manage your library efficiently. If you’re not using an i5 or i7, that will mean even more RAM utilized. If you can double your RAM it would likely make a bigger difference than using the Nvidia card.

Ronzo
    Participant

Hey Ryan,

I didn’t add any Ram, as I already have 32 GB.

Anything else?

Ronzo

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

I thought I read you only had 4GB! What is the processor/speed? How many songs do you have in your DB? Could you have duplicated entries? (such as re-import folders into the DB list that were previously imported)? Are you using version 3.12.0.3 now? (check by clicking the DEX logo in the top left corner of your screen).

I would think about starting over with a fresh DB to make sure it’s not the culprit. With DEX 3 closed, go to Documents -> PCDJ-DEX3 -> Database. In that folder delete the file labeled “database”. Re-open DEX 3 and import all into the DB (follow this guide): https://www.pcdj.com/suggested-method-importing-tracks-into-dex-3-updating-library/

I haven’t witnessed a crash on existing search in quite a few versions, but it would still be possible if not enough RAM is available. It could be a carry over issue with the DB from a prior release.

Ronzo
    Participant

Hey Ryan,

Someone else on my post said they only had 4 GB on their machine. I have 32GB of Ram. I also have the i7 – 6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHZ. I currently have around 240,000 songs in my database. Today I just upgraded to the 3.12.0.3 version.

If I start over with a fresh DB, wouldn’t I have to build my playlist’s back up, which is something I’ve been working on for years. When Dex was first introduced, I was so Disappointing to find out that my over ten years of creating cue points and sub folders on PCDJ VJ couldn’t be used. Just curious, Why do you think my DB could be the culprit?

Ronzo

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

I think you may have many duplicate entries or the like. If you’ve ever re-scanned folder or your drive into the DB, instead of just doing it the very first time you run DEX 3, you may have doubled up (or much more) your db. You want to initially import all songs into the DB, then nest your main music folders as favorite – when you add songs to a folder on your HD, open up DEX 3 and click on the folder you added the songs to. When you ‘see’ the songs display in the middle browser area in DEX 3 they are added to the internal DB and Search cache – so you do not also scan the folder/s again into the DB list.

4GB of RAM is fine if you have small library (under 150,000 songs).

By deleting the DB you would lose your playlists. However, you can right-click on any playlist in DEX 3 and export it as an mp3. Do this for all your important playlists and you can re-import them after deleting your DB file and starting fresh.

Ronzo
    Participant

Hey Ryan,

I took your advise and dumped my entire database. I then added the music from my external hard drive. I clicked on that drive location and hit add to database. After all the songs were in the database, I then added each of of those folders to my favorites. I also tried to import and save my old playlist, unfortunately that didn’t work either, so I’m just going to start all over again building up my playlist’s.

I then created a couple of new playlist folders and I was playing one song and I hit the X by the search bar to clear the title, and it instantly went to bright Orange and locked up my Laptop. It then said windows needed to close. I then opened Dex back up and my database was empty.

What the heck is going on? I have upcoming shows and I’m running out of time. What should I do?

Ronzo.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

I’m pretty stumped. I checked with tech support and they are not seeing reports of the “X” crash when existing search. Curious, does it happen after running DEX 3 for longer periods of time? If so, approximately how long? Is DEX 3 sitting idle for long periods of time before use? That is something you want to avoid, as DEX 3 runs in it’s own environment much like a game – and Windows tends to dial back graphics resources which can cause performance problems.

Are you running any other software at the same time? (making sure to disable antivirus etc). Have you already optimized the machine (general optimizations) for live performance? If not, here’s a good guide from RANE: https://dj.rane.com/support/knowledge-base/optimizing-your-computer-for-dj-performance

Are you using Shaders or video loops when the crash occurs?

Please let me know. We have a test machine with about 700,000 files on it, with only 12GB of RAM and a lesser processor, and we cannot re-create a crash existing search. It does have everything to do with caching your tags, but with your machine 32GB of RAM should easily manage over 1 million tracks.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.