Back to DEX 3 Support Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Ronzo
    Participant

I recently updated to the latest version of Dex. I really enjoy the new karaoke features, as well as the shades.

Unfortunately, i’m now experiencing random crashes. The screen will say that PCDJ needs to close.

I’m using a Dell Alien-ware laptop, which is beyond the minimal specs required to have. And it ran great until the recent update.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Ronzo

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Sorry to hear that. We’re not seeing support tickets that would indicate this is a ‘normal’ issue with v3.11.0.1. Are you using Shaders? That’s the only thing that’s ‘new’ and they can be very GPU intensive. Have you made sure DEX 3 is using your dedicated graphics card for all DEX 3 graphics processing? Here’s how you can, if not: https://www.pcdj.com/making-sure-dex3-vdj-software-uses-dedicated-graphics-card-windows/

You can also select “no shader’ from the shader drop down menu and see if the crashes still occur. Are you doing anything in particular when the crash/es happen?

You may want to submit a support ticket on this as well so support/development can review – do that on this page:
    http://dex3.pcdj.com/

Also, do you use a DJ controller or pro audio usb interface?

azrandyusa
    Participant

I, too am having a problem with crashing. I’m a new user and the program was fine for the first 3 shows, but it crashed this week. When I reopened the program, it quickly crashed again. Thankfully, I still had my old karaoke hosting software on my laptop and switched over to it.
    I do not use shaders.
    I will try your instructions for adjusting the graphics card settings and see if that solves the problem.
    I am using a Gateway NE56R50u laptop with 4 gig memory and Intel HD graphics 3000.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Hello, azrandyusa.

The machine you’re using is under-spec for DEX 3. The processor speed is below the 2.5 minimum. The 4GB of RAM is the bare minimum. With the processor/RAM combo, you may only be able to import around 120,000 songs total into DEX 3. The tag/search cache (internal database) won’t have enough breathing room buffered into RAM. I really recommend an i5 or i7, 2.5ghz or above, a minimum of 8GB of RAM (more if you have a very large library) and if you’re using HD quality content, a dedicated graphics card is required. Your machine is not equipped with one unfortunately (they are gamer type machines).

Ronzo
    Participant

Hey Ryan,

Thanks for getting right back to me. I cant specifically remember what I was doing every-time the crashes occur, but this morning I was using one of the the shaders right before it crashed. I was just playing my last song of the night.

I went ahead and turned off the shaders, and I set my video card to the NVIDIA graphics card.

Also, I’m using a PCDJ Dac-3 controller.

Thanks again,

Ronzo

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Thanks! If DEX 3 wasn’t assigned to use your Nvidia card, than it was using your other shared graphics card to process the shader – that could have cause it, possibly anyway. Let me know how things go moving forward!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.