Back to DEX 3 Support Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

ryakesch
    Participant

I just recently purchased the DEX 3 software to run my DJ/Karaoke shows. I am using a laptop, Dell Inspiron 17 5000 5770 17.3in Full HD (1920×1080) Laptop – 8th Gen Intel Quad-Core i7-8550U, 16GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, AMD Radeon 530, HDMI, USB 3.1, RJ45, Windows 10. I have well over 100,000 karaoke songs, 38,000 DJ songs, and 2,000 music videos. I used the new software for my show last night and the program crashed three times – twice while loading karaoke songs and once while loading a DJ song. My music is stored on an external hard drive and I do not use a controller, only a USB to my Bose mixer. Luckily I did not delete my original karaoke program and had iTunes open as well so that it was in the background. I also have a subscription to Karafun and had that program open as well. Any thoughts on the crashes?

musicologist65
    Participant

I’ve had that happen to me occasionally. One reason is if you try to “multi-task” by doing too many things too quickly it will cause your computer to freeze or crash. Also I’ve been told that if you have other programs running in the background that could cause issues too.

JohnDrew
    JohnDrew
    Participant

I had it happen once or twice when I first started using the program but haven’t had any trouble for awhile. When it happened to me I was doing a lot of multitasking going into the options etc…. I run karaoke and music videos also but I use an iPad for my regular music. Your computer is much better than mine also. I would recommend playing with it at home and see if you can get it to happen before a regular gig. When I first started using it I also had my other program ready just in case but haven’t had to use it in awhile. I use mine on the 2 deck setting with the video window in the middle. I don’t like using the Lyrx skin.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Curious, did you go back and test the files that you loaded when the crashes occurred? Meaning, if they cause another crash when you attempt to load and play them, there may be something corrupt with the files themselves (and we’d like a copy of the files in question if so). Also, be sure to follow this optimization guide to ensure it’s not something else underlying causing the issue: https://www.pcdj.com/dj-software-windows-10-system-optimization-guide/

ryakesch
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback…..so, it happened again this weekend. I have a streaming service for karaoke called Karafun. I have this program open while I have DEX 3 open. Twice, when I double-click on the secondary screen to minimize the DEX 3 screen to move it out of the way so that the singer can see the Karafun screen, when I go back and move the DEX 3 screen back to the secondary screen, then double-click, the program crashes and closes. Program plays fine when it is open with ITunes, but seems to have issues when I move the screen around or double-click on it to move it away from the secondary screen.

ryakesch
    Participant

One last thing that I have noticed over the last two weekends. When I shut DEX 3 down at the end of the night and start it back up the next night, it doesn’t go back to what was shown the previous night (history not there, etc.). It also doesn’t save the messages I scroll in the video setting prior to starting my karaoke show. When you close out of the program and open it back up the next night shouldn’t it go right back to where you previously shut it off at?

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

What version of DEX 3? That usually means it’s not able to ‘save’ upon shut down. You are exiting out of DEX 3 first, before shutting down the machine?

ryakesch
    Participant

Version DEX3 x64 – v3.13.0.6
    Yes, I close out of the program first prior to shutting the computer down.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

How much music in DEX 3, how much system RAM? I’ve also seen a corrupt user profile cause this issue (where DEX 3 can’t save anything). A permissions issue preventing DEX 3 from “writing” data to documents, where the PCDJ-DEX3 folder resides.

The issue with the crash: Keep in mind you shouldn’t use any other applications while running DEX 3 during live performance – that’s a big live performance computer ‘no no’ in general, but more importantly, if the other application needs to access your graphics card like karafun will do it can cause issues with DEX 3. DEX 3 runs in it’s own environment very much like a ‘game’ does – and thus runs all graphics processing (from interface to extended display) through the graphics card/driver. The interface is “drawn” by the graphics card. Thus, anything else accessing it like karafun will and eating into graphics resources could certainly cause a problem and/or a crash.

ryakesch
    Participant

Well over 38,000 DJ songs on file
    Laptop – 8th Gen Intel Quad-Core i7-8550U, 16GB RAM DDR4, 2TB HDD, AMD Radeon 530, HDMI, USB 3.1, RJ45, Windows 10

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

The amount of songs isn’t the issue then. I’m wondering if there is a write permissions issue (can’t write to documents) — which can be caused by a corrupt user profile (which tends to happen to those that suffer the issue after a win10 update). Do ANY settings/changes stick after shutting DEX 3 down and relaunching it?

ryakesch
    Participant

Nothing that I have seen on changes stick at all.

ryakesch
    Participant

Definitely appreciate all the feedback. I optimized Windows 10 as stated above – definitely helped. And, will not be running the Karafun at same time. So far, no issues.

expertklin753
    Participant

Thank God,
    It didnt happen with me
    But Thanks for the feedback..

expertklin753
    Participant

Are you ever tried to sing Hindi karaoke songs ??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.