Back to DEX 3 Support Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

dougpke
    Participant

I have a wide range of karaoke formats (wav+g, mp3+g mp4’s etc…..) all stored on a drive dedicated to only karaoke files. While the vast majority seem to be recognized as karaoke, a small percentage do not. It would appear that many of them not recognized are mp4’s, however, there may be some other formats involved. How does DEX3 recognize and differentiate these files, and what should I look for to correct this problem?

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Hello Doug,

Video files will display under the video filter – thus MP4 files will display when selecting “video” or “all”. Mp3+G will display under “karaoke” and/or “all”. I’m honestly not sure if WAV+G are supported, but if they are, they will also display under “karaoke” and/or “all”. It’s based on the file format exclusively. What some users do, however, is color code their tracks instead of using filters. See this guide: https://www.pcdj.com/dj-and-vj-software-quick-tip-color-coding/

Also, if you want a quicker response our Facebook User Group is much more active than the forums. You can check it out/join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/208451843303338/

dougpke
    Participant

Ryan,

Yes, WAV+G is supported. I requested that several years ago, and you folks were nice enough to add support! Could I suggest as an option that the karaoke button could be programmed to include only files in the search that were located in a dedicated folder and it’s subfolders (F:\karaoke for example). I believe I am far from the only person that keeps their karaoke files in a separate directory or folder. If a check box was checked on the “karaoke tab” in options, with a user selectable entrybox for the directory with a browse button, the karaoke search button would include mp4’s in the dedicated karaoke directory as karaoke files, and the video button would exclude the same mp4’s in the same directories in the video search. I believe I have even seen that you keep your karaoke files in a separate folder in your how-to videos…..

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Good to know on WAV+G 🙂

We plan to add a way to tag video files as karaoke files – and I’ll send your suggestion to development. We have quite a few irons in the fire right now, so it won’t likely be a ‘soon’ thing, but we shall see.

dougpke
    Participant

Thank you Ryan. Actually, any solution would work, even something as simple as, tagging karaoke files as “karaoke” in the genre tag, and DEX 3 sees it and includes it in the karaoke search. Your programmers have done some amazing work. I’m sure they will come up with the best solution for your product.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Yes, we’ll find another method for video files. Also, keep in mind the color coding option for now. Just highlight all tracks listed in your karaoke folder(s) and click a color code option (you could do the same for your mp3+G/zips as well). That way, when performing searches, you’ll be able to immediately visually ‘see’ which tracks are karaoke, and which are not. Temp solution!

StarMaker2020
    Participant

I know that Winamp can separate files via the Mp3Tag Comments. I.E, comments read Karaoke it gets read into the Karaoke list,

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Normally, karaoke songs do not have ANY tags – they simply have file names. That’s due to the popularity of zip files, which most karaoke host use. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a traditional karaoke track that has “karaoke” anywhere in the file name. Definitely not zips, possibly with unzipped mp3+G.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.