Back to DEX 3 Support Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

rustcat
    Participant

I downloaded the trial version of 3.10.0.2 last night on my Windows 10 laptop – plenty of RAM and disk space. My goal is to manually set in/out cue points on video songs and automix them with cross-fade.

I’m seeing some strange issues – which probably have an easy fix – that I have no idea what to do. Thanks much in advance for your help in resolving these.

Right off the bat, the interface looks a bit garbled – especially all text, the area where I drag a file to load, the red text on top beside the logo, etc. This is quite common in all areas really.

I load a song to set the manual cues – I follow the right steps to first right-click both the In and Out buttons to delete, and then left click In and Out where I want. But as the song is playing, it somehow turns gray/white in the playlist area and I cannot seem to do anything with it. After setting the cue points for all the songs, I exit DEX and re-start – and in SOME cases, the IN cue-point is correctly shown but it never shows the OUT cue point.

As mentioned above, anytime a song is loaded/playing, that song’s line in the file area turns gray and I can do nothing with it. It would also be nice to see the cue-points in a column beside each song.

Every so often, the song is playing but everything else is frozen. I cannot minimize the window, select anything else. This happens once every 3-4 sessions. I basically have to either shut-down or logout – I cannot even open the Task Manager window to kill the process.

In the trial version, I don’t see the singer rotation button – is this only a feature in the Karaoke product?. I recall a YT video where this was shown in DEX 3, but it does not show on my interface.

Thanks again.

Joe

rustcat
    Participant

Oh, also whenever I start DEX 3, it immediately starts playing songs that were loaded from the previous session – and I’m scrabbling to stop the automix. This also leads to some of the songs being grayed out. I assume there is a way to start from scratch and not have anything automatically play until I want it to. Thanks.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Can you please take a screen shot of the ‘garbled skin’ that you’re seeing and share a link with us so we can see it? I’ve not seen any other reports of this and it’s a crisp HD display, although not 4k. What resolution is your display?

Cue points are not written to the song (permanently) until the song is ‘unloaded’ from the deck. So, if a song you set a cue point on is still in the deck when you exit, it will not save the re-set in/out cue points. Make sure to load another song into the deck first, replacing the song that you just set the new in/out cue points for, and the cues should stick/write to the database for future use. This behavior will be changed in the future!

When a song is played for 20 full seconds it grays out in the library – but you can still ‘do things with it’. You can still load/play it, you can delete it (click on it and click delete to remove from list), etc. It grays out like that so you know it’s already been played .

Are you making sure to use the new DEX 3.8 skins? Maybe that’s your issue with the skin as well. Go into DEX 3’s options, under the “general” tab and make sure you’re using the 3.8 skins for DEX 3 (either nighttime or daytime, although the ‘grey out’ on the daytime skin makes it harder to see the song that grayed out!).

I’m also not sure what you mean by seeing the cue points in the browser by the song? Not sure how that would work in the browser, without making it extremely cluttered looking. The cue points are marked by the red flags on the track timeline bar (in the players) only.

If you are using the DEX 3.8 skins than you will see the toggle buttons for the playlist/singer rotation list. So that must be the issue.

I’m not hearing about DEX 3 just ‘freezing” on screen like that either. What ARE your system specs? Specifically Processor, RAM, and graphics card?

Here’s what you need for DEX 3 pro to be clear:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS: WINDOWS
    – Windows: 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 8.1 / Windows 10
    – 2.5GHz Intel Core i3/i5/i7 / Amd Phenon (Celeron Not Recommended)
    – 4 GIG RAM or Better (If you have more than 120,000 songs we’d recommend at least 8GB)
    – Video Card: Dedicated Graphics Card with at least 512MB (or Intel HD 3000 Series or better)
    – DirectX/ASIO Compatible Multi-Channel Audio Interface (and/or USB audio interface)
    – 200 MB free on the hard-drive

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS: MAC
    – Mac: OSX 10.9 or greater
    – 2.5GHz Intel Core i3/i5/i7
    – 4 GIG RAM or Better (If you have more than 120,000 songs we’d recommend at least 8GB)
    – Video Card: Dedicated Graphics Card with at least 512MB (or Intel HD 3000/Iris Series or better)
    – Multi-channel Core Audio soundcard (and/or USB audio interface)
    – 200 MB free on the hard-drive

Important Note: The above are recommendations for standard 480p (SD) Video Mixing:
    – For 720p HD videos: At least 4GB of RAM, 8GB recommended, a video card with at least 512MB dedicated video RAM
    – For 1080p/1080i full HD videos: At least 4GB of RAM, 8GB recommended, a video card with at least 1GB dedicated video RAM

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

You left AUTO (automix) on when you shut down DEX 3 – that’s why it was ON when you opened up DEX 3 the next time. It’s designed to do this, as venues will often use it for music all day in their bar/restaurant – and they just have to open up DEX 3 and it will start playing. Just remember to turn off AUTO before shutting down, problem solved.

rustcat
    Participant

Thanks for the detailed answer. You got me – my laptop has a lot of memory / space, but it’s a Celeron and no dedicated graphics card, so guess it’s a DOA situation. Can i paste screen-shots in these messages? I will try the other tips you gave me. Needless to say, you are very knowledgeable and helpful – cheers.

Joe

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Yeah, unfortunately Celeron processors will not work well at all for video mixing, especially HD. They are best suited for office type applications and surfing the net…not multimedia mixing.

You can provide a link to a screen shot here – just host it somewhere first. A free service like this would work: https://imgbb.com/

DaedalusWren
    Participant

Still having issues with DEX3 not wanting to open when virus protection software is running. In order to get it to open at all, I need to disable the virus checkers totally. Now, when my working machine was never connected to the internet, this would not have been an issue, but now that songs can be streamed, and in the case of the Karaoke side, purchased directly through the software, my machine is connected and the virus prevention software is always on. Who wants to get a virus in their working machine? Even using the most basic Windows Security prevention software adversely affects the proper operation of DEX3, Due to this major issue, the newest versions of DEX3 are useless to me and I have had to rely on a much older version to continue to work with. Is there any timeline on when this issue will be worked out so we can use the software and also stay protected from viruses? This is the exact same issue I have with the demo version of LYRX for windows. Thank

DaedalusWren
    Participant

Sorry, posted above to wrong place.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

This is not a DEX 3 issue. This is an issue with the antivirus incorrectly flagging the new Karaoke.net store built into DEX 3 as a trojan or similar. It’s called a ‘false positive”. As soon as DEX 3 (with Karaoke.net store built in, so a current release) goes to access the Karaoke.net server to download the latest catalog file (list of songs) the antivirus tries to block it completely, which will cause DEX 3 to exit (not crash). We’ve reported this already to the antivirus companies as a false positive, so it’s up to them, not us, to correct the problem at this time. It’s clearly not a virus, and we’re using standard methods of communication with the Karaoke.net server.

Antivirus companies will often ‘just block’ things they don’t see a lot of, as there’s simply no way for them to vet every single application or connection out there.

For now, you can disable your antivirus, open up DEX 3, and after it fully launches re-enable your antivirus – then all should be well. A customer was also able to add DEX 3 to an ‘exception list’ in Avast so this no longer occurs. I would google that one for your particular antivirus to see if it’s an option for you, too.

DaedalusWren
    Participant

I have tried excluding the PCDJ folder along with the DEX3.exe and LYRX.exe files in Microsoft Security, Malwarebytes and in windows firewall, and it is a 50% hit/miss. Which is even more frustrating. With the Task Manager open when I start DEX3 I watch the amount of RAM used. If it stops anywhere between 79.4 – 79.9 mb, then it is frozen and must be forced closed and tried again. Other times it will shoot past the 79mb threshold and will fire right up. This all while changing nothing. I have yet to try it on my working machine, as I like to be sure it will work on my desktop before installing it to my laptop. I am well beyond specs for these programs and previous versions, without the Karaoke.net issue have worked flawlessly for the most part. I will continue to test it out on my desktop and see if I can run down the culprit causing the issue. One observation I have made. When I turn off Malwarebytes (MB), it seems much harder to get DEX3 to run with just Microsoft Security (MS) running. About 20% of the times tried. I run both MS and MB and it runs 50% or the times tried.

Thanks for the response Ryan.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

I’ve had no issue after adding both LYRX/DEX 3 (the EXE’s) to the exclusion list in Avast.

That quick ‘jump’ in RAM usage on startup is due to the catalog from karaoke.net being downloaded shortly after launching DEX 3. When you first launch DEX 3 it buffers ALL your track tags into RAM – which may have something to do with the initial bump in usage.

If you’re not going to use karaoke.net, then you can disable it and see if that helps resolve the issue. Not 100% on this, but try it. Under the Karaoke tab in options, tick the box to disable karaoke.net. Exit options, and re-start DEX 3. See if antivirus takes issue with it.

You may want to consider a less intrusive antivirus platform is the issues persist. Malwarebytes has been a bit culprit for other issues with some of our other products in the past, and it’s quite intensive. I’ve had much better luck with Avast and Webroot (something, forgot the full name!).

DaedalusWren
    Participant

Yes, the first thing I did when I finally got it to open was to disable the Party Tyme and Karaoke.Net services. Going to try running it without the Microsoft Security or Malwarebytes running and see if I still have the Hit/Miss application start.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.