Back to DEX 3 RE Support Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

mkoser
    Participant

Hello,

I recently upgraded to DEX 3 RE after many years as a Blue then Red user.

I also upgraded to a newer computer at the time, running Windows 10.

I installed the DEX 3, the DAC 3 controller, and am using the “Blue with silver USB cord” Gigaport USB sound card that I bought many many years ago when I first got PCDJ (I think I bought it directly from PCDJ?) The Gigaport worked fine on my windows 7 machine using PCDJ Red that I was most recently using as my main DJ computer.

I installed everything days prior to a gig and messed around with it quite a bit. It all seemed to work flawlessly.

I had a gig Saturday night. In the middle of my gig, upon loading a song, the PCDJ program froze, and the audio suddenly stopped. I wasn’t able to load any songs, or even close the program. I had to open task manager and end the program.

I then tried to open PCDJ numerous times. It would open, and then immediately close.

I ended up restarting the computer. I was then able to open PCDJ. However, after restart, I was not able to get any audio of of the right Deck through the USB sound card. I could change the audio routing to get both decks to come out of the same two channels (1/2) of the USB card, but I could not separate the audio over 4 (two stereo) channels (3/4).
    I began to think that the USB sound card had died, so I quickly grabbed a 1/8th cable and ran the audio out of the Headphone jack on the compute as a combined signal the rest of the night. I also unplugged the sound card from the USB port.

Also,after all of this occurred, the Right play/pause button on the DAC 3 would take 2 or 3 presses to get it to start the deck playing. At times, it would momentarily start the deck, but then immediately pause it. It never behaved like that on the other computer running PCDJ Red.

So my questions are:

1) Is PCDJ DEX 3 RE compatible with the older Gigaprt sound card, and the DAC 3?
    2) Is the Gigaport USB sound card and the DAC 3 compatible with a 64bit Windows 10 computer (it worked fine on a 64bit Win 7 machine)
    3) Anything else I can try?

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

The Gigaport AG doesn’t have proper Windows 10 drivers. In order to get proper 2 stereo output and low latency performance, you need to use the native ASIO drivers that ESI created for the Gigaport. The issue is they do not have suitable ASIO drivers for Windows 10. I would recommend a Scarlett 2i4 from Focusrite if you plan to keep using the DAC-3. However, nearly all of the newer DJ controllers we support have built in 2 stereo output audio interfaces. If you like something small/slim like the DAC-3, maybe a Numark DJ2GO2 would work. Here’s our full list of supported DJ controllers: https://www.pcdj.com/dj-controllers/

The DAC-3 issue sounds more like a contact is going bad in the play button — something pretty common with the DAC-3s after longtime use. Not much can be done since we no longer have any parts. Another reason why you may want to consider a more current DJ controller with built in pro-audio interface.

Let us know if you have any further questions!

mkoser
    Participant

Thank you for the reply.

I’m old skool and stuck in my ways… I really wanted to keep a rack mountable dj controller like the DAC 2 or 3.
    That Numark DJ2GO2 looks like it *might* fit the bill. It is only a two channel output. Can you assign deck 1 to a mono output on L and Deck 2 to mono output on R?

I also like to use an external mixer.

Thanks again,

I appreciate it.

MK

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

It’s two stereo channels. Remember, since you plug your headphones directly into it you only need one stereo output. The DJ2GO2 has a mixer built in, so no need for 2 sets of RCA outputs, just one ‘main’ output and the headphones plug in directly. They don’t make 19″ standalone rackmount controllers anymore, unfortunately.

mkoser
    Participant

Hello,

Thanks again for the reply. Well, I decided to upgrade to a Pioneer DDJ-SB3. It seems to work well, other than the headphone cue.
    The master audio out is always present in the headphones, no matter what. The SB3 manual doesn’t address this. Is this a PCDJ setting or an issue with the controller?

Any idea what might cause this?

MK

mkoser
    Participant

Update.

I downloaded Serato and it works fine. Is there something I can change in PCDJ to make it work as designed?

MK

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Yes, it works great, you just have to manually assign the audio routing the correct way. For this you need to either select the WASAPI option, or in my opinion, a better solution is asio4all for lower latency control (and better performance).

Here’s what I would do:

You need to close DEX 3, download and install Asio4all from http://www.asio4all.org – then, open up DEX 3, go into options, under the audio routing tab select ‘asio4all v2’ from the ‘select audio device’ drop down menu. Then, click the “ASIO control panel” button (also under the audio routing tab in options) and then press the little power/play button next to the “DDJ-SB3” text (to the left of it) to assign asio4all to the Pioneer controller option. Then you can exit the asio4all control panel – exit out of DEX 3, open it back up.

Also under audio routing, your configuration for headphone cueing will be:

Deck A through D: 1/2
    Headphones 3/4

ALL other options should be set to none or no audio. Do NOT put a tick in the box for external mixer mode. That will do it. You can also use WASAPI the same way. (which is the windows default multchannel driver, but it’s been a little flaky after a recent win10 update).

Let me know how it goes!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.