Back to DEX 3 Support Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

bertybert
    Participant

Hya my music collection is categorised alphabetically all artists starting with an a are is A Folder then all abba in abba folder and so on
    I have initially imported all music ie 450,000 songs however what I have done is when I have have updated a folder with better quality or new songs I have reimported the folder
    hence now I have 3 or 4 of the same filein the main databasa, is there an easy way of putting this right without losing all my playlists which I have stored under user lists

hope this makes sense many thanks Bertbert

• This topic was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  bertybert.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Yeah, the only thing you need to do in order to update DEX 3’s internal database/search cache with newly added songs is open it up and click on the folder you added the song too. As soon as you ‘see’ the songs in the middle browser pane they are added. Done.

What you will need to do is export each of your user lists as “M3U” files. These can be re-imported later after you delete and rebuild the db. After you’ve right-clicked on each and ‘export list as m3u”, you can close down DEX 3, go to Documents -> PCDJ-DEX3 -> Database and within that folder delete the file labeled ‘database’. Now re-launch DEX 3 and do a batch import of all into the DB again and nest your folders as favorites etc. Here’s how you can import m3u playlist files back into DEX 3:

Be sure you’re also running DEX 3.11.0.1 – if not, grab it on the DEX 3 support page here:

Also, our go to guide on importing/managing your track library in DEX 3 is here if you need it: https://www.pcdj.com/suggested-method-importing-tracks-into-dex-3-updating-library/

bertybert
    Participant

thank you I will do this on Monday as I have a gig sat and sunday and I don’t want to mess things up before then
    thank you for you very prompt reply.

bertybert
    Participant

Hya sorry to be a pain , I followed your instructions and rebuilt database and transferred all playlists back into programme as instructed. however I forgot about history, I did keep a copy of the original database, can the history be salvaged and imported back into the new slimmer database
    many thanks Bertybert

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

The ‘database’ file actually contains the history and all users lists as well. So if you copied the database file over than it should included history.

bertybert
    Participant

sorry Ryan you have lost me,
    I started with a data base that showed triple amount of tracks it should have due to me inputting updated folders into dex3 wrongly. you told me to export all playlists as m3u files and then close down de 3. I was the told to delete database (Prior to this I copied it to my desktop just in case I Messed up. I then restarted dex3 and had to reinstall all my songs 380K after that I re in ported all playlists, but of cause I had no history it was left behind in the original data base. is there no way to extract original history file and re insert into the new database

many thanks in this matter

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Yep, my fault, I forgot to re-read the older posts and lost my spot.

User lists can be exported/imported, but history is stored with the main DB file. You cannot export it separately right now. It’s a more ‘involved’ list than a user list since it contains time stamps, singer history, among other items. I’ll see if exporting history lists separately (for re-import later in the event you need to reestablish the database) is something on our ‘to-do list’.

bertybert
    Participant

thank you 4 your prompt reply really appreciate you taking the time to reply dex 3 brilliant I wish I had got it years ago

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

You’re welcome, and thanks for the kind words, Bert!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.