Back to Karaoki Support Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ak_hepcat
    ak_hepcat
    Participant

I’ve been going crazy trying to make this work:

I’ve got a laptop with Karaoki installed and my usb key full of songs.

I have an M-Audio FastTrack-Pro USB mic/line audio adapter that I want to use for microphone input.

Audio output goes over the HDMI cable, either to a large-screen TV or projector. There is no other audio amplification available except via this link.

I cannot for the life of me get audio from the USB adapter to play out the HDMI, and there doesn’t appear to be any way for Karaoki to have a ‘mic-in’ mix.

What am I missing here? I’ve done professional concert audio, and lots of theatrical audio, but can’t seem to get this (what I see as simple) setup working the way that I think it should.

What am I doing wrong?

Alan Wood
    Alan Wood

Karaoki is NOT designed to work like that, it has NO microphone processing and is designed to be used with an external mixer. I am in the process of writing a small companion application that will allow a mic input and the mic can be routed from one sound card (input card) to another (output card) but this is low priority at this time.

The main problem with using a PC to handle the microphone input is latency, this is a big issue when using live microphones as you hear the mic input through the speakers a fraction of a second later… this is very disconcerting when speaking or singing..

Alan

Meep70
    Participant

The FastTrack Pro can be used as a standalone preamp, with limited mixing ability. You might be able to play with that, and make it work.

Another idea: there are external adapters that can take your audio output from the card, and a video source (VGA, usually, but I have also seen DVI and HDMI), and send them down an HDMI cable. Here is one such beast:
    http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Converter-Support-Adapter-SY-ADA31025/dp/B006FILNV6

ak_hepcat
    ak_hepcat
    Participant

If only this mixer was still available – it looks like it would be the best interim solution.

There is a different hardware mixer (Acesonic KM-201 HDMI Karaoke Audio Mixer ) but it doesn’t have very good reviews. I’m guessing it lacks good shielding and noise elimination on the inputs and power lines, and that’s not terribly difficult to add.

So, I guess for now the Acesonic is my only option – i’m just hoping that it doesn’t add significant delay into the audio path, otherwise I’ll be really cranky about spending 80$ on effectively worthless hardware.

Sigh.

ak_hepcat
    ak_hepcat
    Participant

…which begs the question – how difficult is it to add an “audio delay compensation” knob that would allow for positive or negative delay adjustments to the audio stream?

Meep70
    Participant

That would depend on whether it was the audio or the video that was behind. If the audio was delayed, it would be easier to then delay the video, and would need some sort of video processor, in order to make the adjustment. In reality, you are probably overthinking it, at this point, and you’re going to be just fine.

The easiest way I know of to accomplish what you want is to use the VGA output from the computer, for video (stay with me, here, I know we need HDMI). Since the Fastrack Pro has zero-latency monitoring on the mic inputs, all your audio will be handled smoothly, as long as you aren’t trying to add software effects to the mics, with your computer. The adapter I mentioned above could connect to the headphone output on the Fastrack Pro, and the VGA out on your computer, and POW. Problem solved. Two mic inputs, and your audio from Karaoki, plus your video, are all now being sent down that HDMI cable, just as you asked, and it costs less than $25 to try it.

Meep70
    Participant

For the sake of clarity, the part number you need, to try what I suggested is SY-ADA31025. There are several others on that listing on amazon, once I checked back. Currently that part is $19.99USD

ak_hepcat
    ak_hepcat
    Participant

I understand what you are suggesting, Meep, however VGA is not an option, as the laptop only has HDMI out.

Such is the price of “progress”

Meep70
    Participant

Look at this: http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-BlackbirdTM-HDMI-Audio-Inserter/dp/B01B5FR7PY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1458442863&sr=8-5&keywords=hdmi+audio+injector

Or search Amazon or eBay for HDMI Audio Injector. There were several other options. We’ll GET this working! 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.