Tagged: 

Back to DEX 3 Support Forum
Viewing 67 posts - 171 through 237 (of 237 total)
  • Author

mr respondent
    Participant

Hi Ryan,
    1/. The video transitions are rather limited, it would be good to have more choices,
    2/. I used to have the very old PCDJ, it remembered the song choices you had made previously, the more you accessed those tracks, the higher up the list they always came, after a few session they ALWAYS came to the top. Great for karaoke where people prefer certain makers..IE Sunfly/Zoom and so on. I know there is another way of making DEX do this but it is long winded by comparison.
    3/. For karaoke, it would be useful to be able simply to “click” on the video window to make it go to that player whilst the songs are being played.

I still really like DEX interface, it’s clean and simple, not cluttered.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Thanks! We plan on adding smart lists – and one of those lists would be ‘most played’. So it suspect it would work for you/your request.

We will add more transitions/effects as well.

I’m a little confused on “3”. Do you mean the crossfader would jump to that side when you click the video display itself? (deck A or B)?

mr respondent
    Participant

Thanks Ryan, and as to suggestion 3, yes that’s what I mean, instead of having to use the slider to go from A to B, a simple click of the cursor on whichever side you wished to view to main screen, means that while the program does that I can cross fade on my external mixer as well.
    The advantage with this is that audio from one track can be playing whilst video from another is being viewed, useful for placing ads for the venue, messages and so on…cheers…great to hear youre planning smart lists and more transistions..OH and one more thing, facility to fade to external video camera…

DJ Rolex
    DJ Rolex
    Participant

External Input video mixing cant be done with a standard pc or mac,
    the hardware is not designed to do that,
    you will need an external video mixer to feed your camera (hdmi) and your DEX 3 output ( hdmi )

something like this

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/V4EX–roland-v-4ex-4-ch-digital-video-mixer-with-effects?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkqC08dDJ2QIVFp7ACh0i3gjAEAQYAyABEgK3avD_BwE

Rolex

Dave4pk
    Participant

Excellent news Ryan.
    I too used to rely on most played versions on karaoke versions like Mr Respondent says, I also have many different versions of certain karaoke tracks and this tends to organise the good from not so good versions we carry.

Looking forward to smart lists to be added in the future.
    Ive updated Dex3 to you 10.0 beta and love the singer list updates you added. You absolutely nailed that one. Thanks for all your efforts. Us Djs/Vjs and Kjs all truly appreciate the hard work you and all your guys put in to making Dex 3 the best there is.

Keep up thr great work.
    ps. We know youre using KaraokeQuest and Songbookdb on Karaoki, both of which are an absolute god sennd to those using it. Is there any news on any of these (or something similar) being added to Dex 3 or better still, your own guys designing your own version. I’d happily pay a monthly subscription without doubt as Im already paying for songbookdb, but know full well there is room for improvement on this software. Who better to take it to the next level? 😉😉

mr respondent
    Participant

thanks for the link, checking it out now cheers Brian

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback, Dave!

I’m very happy with how the rotation list has been implemented as well. The filler music option should be added in public beta 2 next week as well. It will automatically play music in between singers, without using any of the actual decks in DEX 3. It will use the case player, which means you can even assign it to a different channel/output.

I definitely want to see the smart lists as well. Always has been on the ever growing, always changing, to do!

We will have a solution for remote requests. We’re still determining the proper avenue to take. We would very much like to have our own in house solution but we’ll see 🙂

Boogieman34950
    Boogieman34950
    Participant

Hi Ryan, how about Mixed In Key & Platinum Notes integration?

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

No, we already have a very good key detection system we built ourselves and will expand on over time. We have no plans on implementing third-party algorithms or the like. We want to keep all the code in house for various reasons. We currently have one ‘code’ that can deploy and work on any OS as well. Once you start down the path of third-party software you have to rely on other developers for updates etc – which won’t always follow your own development schedule. We’ve done that type of thing in the past and won’t again. It can be a proverbial boat-anchor to moving your product/code ahead.

You can search songs by key in DEX 3 after scanning for key, which will help you mix harmonically. We have quite a few articles about this on our website. To search for key, just type in “K” before the key and DEX 3 will retrieve a list of songs in that key. Again, it’s basic now, but won’t always be…

rkwild
    Participant

VDJ 8.2 has an “invert decks” feature that allows you to map a button on your controller to invert 1 & 3 or 2 & 4 so you can control 4 decks with a two deck controller.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

DEX 3 supports swap using 4 deck controllers. Usually there is a button on the controller itself that can do this. What DJ controller are you trying to use? On my Denon MC6000 MKII their are buttons for 1/2 and 3/4 to swap each side, for example.

Adding a software toggle isn’t out of the question regardless.

MusicMan
    Participant

Being able place songs in the side list where you want will be much easier.
    I have mentioned this before but is there any chance of an option to choose whether the last played song goes to the top or the bottom of history, for me personally to just click on history and see the last few songs played would be good.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

You can already drag a song to position in the sidelist now? This was one of the added features in the new 3.10.0.2 update that was just posted. Unless I’m not understanding?

I can see about the history sort — but you’ll notice that once you enter history, and scroll to the bottom of the list for the latest songs (or just click your “END” button on your keyboard to jump to the bottom of the list) every time you access the list during that session you will always be at the very bottom of the list (it recalls the last position).

Rayne6669
    Participant

I would love to see the ability to broadcast using Shoutcast. I know right now you can do it with Icecast, but Shoutcast would be awesome too.

Joe
    Participant

Please include the path (folder names) in the search.

Our previous DJ software included the path (folders) in the search. This allowed us to put any text we wanted in the folder names and then we could use this text in the search. This is much easier than editing the tag information. And the folder name can be very personal, not limited to what is in the file name or track tags.

Dave4pk
    Participant

Hi Ryan,
    After trying many Video MP3 subscription download companies and there are many good LEGAL ones about at the moment, bpmsupreme suited my needs best and I am subscribing to them to get all my latest videos. Is there any possibility of adding a search button from Dex3 to search the BPMSupreme page without leaving the comfort of Dex3 any time in the future? I know its been done with other other outside sources in the past, but I would love this added to dex3 if at all possible.

Dave.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Hi Dave, glad to hear you’re enjoying their service. I too use BPM Supreme almost exclusively now.

In app support for their service is something we’d like to offer – but it does take considerable ‘setup’ for BPM Supreme. They need to develop an API/SDK for us to use to integrate their platform into DEX 3. This isn’t out of the question. We’ll see what the future holds!

On another note, not sure if you saw it, but Pulselocker was purchased by BeatPort so they will be re-branding and re-launching the service later this year. We hope to integrate their platform at that time (which doesn’t mean we can’t also offer BPM Supreme as well).

Dave4pk
    Participant

Hi Ryan.
    Is there any chance of adding popular version into the search song facility?
    ie. Karaoke tracks might have 10+ versions of certain tracks but will store the most popular played versions at the top of the list. This was available in pcdj many years ago.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Yes, based on ‘play count’ – we’ve talked about this. It’s somewhere on the to-do – just can’t tell ya where, yet!

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

BTW, you may want to join our new official facebook user group – lots of talk up there (quite a bit busier than the forums). Here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/208451843303338/

Dave4pk
    Participant

Thanks Ryan and yes. Play count was the term I meant.

azrandyusa
    Participant

In the karaoke player, how about a “clock down” showing how much time is left in the current song? Currently, you only show the clock showing the length of the tune.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

If you click on the cloud it changes from elapsed time to remaining (and vice versa).

azrandyusa
    Participant

Thank you, Ryan!

DJ Rolex
    DJ Rolex
    Participant

Ryan,
    some wishes that will make this already great software even better

1.- fade in,out when a deck stops , cues or start playing (aka winamp soft start stop )
    right now it just cuts out , wish its user adjustable so you can set in 50msec increments
    from 0 ( no fade in at all ) to 300msec i think more than that is not ear pleasing.

2.- adjustable break in, out for decks, right now you can stop a deck like a vinyl turntable but when you
    let the deck to play again, it just starts instantly with no inertia speeding up the turntable
    so adjustable stop and start brakes would be nice so you can choose how many milliseconds the deck
    will reach its normal playing speed.

3.- the frequencies on the eq wish to be adjustable as well in the standard 1/3 Octave ranges so you select the freq on the
    knob ,below are the most usable for Djing
    LF 40HZ, 50Hz ,63HZ , 80HZ
    MF 800Hz, 1Khz, 1.25Khz,1.6Khz,2Khz
    HF 8Khz,10Khz, 12.5Khz ,16Khz

on mid EQ a Bell filter with adjustable Q, Narrow band , Medium Band or Widebandl
    the LF and HF can be High Shelf and Low Shelf Eq’s

Just my 2 cents
    Rolex

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Thanks, and all quality suggestions, Rolex! I haven’t heard a request for the 1st one prior – where when you cue/stop the deck it fades instead of stopping. Interesting indeed.

We have a pretty major ‘core upgrade’ we need to do to the DEX 3 A/V engine before we get back to work on DJ functionality (as everything is ‘built on’ that code). It may take a couple/three months or so to fully complete. The AV engine upgrade will have many benefits for the DEX 3 platform that will be imperative for us to continue to ‘build on’ to the code. We will also have a new in-app music subscription partner that we’ll be announcing in October – an integration we need to complete by the end of the year. Too much to do!

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

BTW guys, be sure to join our new Facebook User Group – very ‘busy’ up there compared to the user forums. Everyone’s already on Facebook, I suppose 🙂 You can join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/208451843303338/

DaedalusWren
    Participant

I would like to see something I have never seen in Karaoke software to date. Song normalization. I really appreciate the feature in the DJ end of the software, and as many KJ’s know, the difference in volume between songs of different manufacturers can be drastic. This leads us to not only have to keep an eye on the Mic volume, but also every song that is played. I personally think it would be an amazing feature.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

DEX 3 already has gain level normalization. If enabled, all songs will output at the same gain level (give or take a dB). Under options, under the “general tab”, put a tick in the box for “detect automatic gain’ – once enabled all songs will play at the same output level. This works the same in LYRX.

DaedalusWren
    Participant

Thanks Ryan,

I did notice tonight while checking out the LYRX side of the DEX3 software that it indeed did jump in volume after the song fully loaded, which was nice to hear to ensure that it was indeed applying a gain normalization to the karaoke song, however is there a way to pause the song start till after the song is fully loaded so you don’t hear that volume change in the intro?

I agree with the Fade in and out option for the songs as Rolex mentioned, That would be a beneficial feature. Also a slider for Tempo, (As I still have not found the secret to setting tempo) and singer history that saves indefinitely to bring up in a mouse click the singers whole song history, retaining the Pitch/Tempo of the previously sung songs.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

That should never happen. A jump in audio during playback. The gain is the very first thing the ‘players’ in DEX 3 initialize when loading the track, even before it can be played the gain is adjusted.

Are you sure the crossfader wasn’t in the incorrect position (before switching to the LYRX skin, be sure to put DEX 3’s crossfader position all the way to the left, under Deck A). Development made a point of making sure gain doesn’t get adjust during playback, and it’s been that way for a few years now. I do not have any other reports that would suggest that’s been happening to our customers, so please test some more and let me know. You can also pre-analyze all your tracks before loading, and gain will already be calculated before you load a track to a deck.

Keep in mind the LYRX skin doesn’t offer you ANY additional functionality over the default DEX 3 skins. It’s just a more ‘streamlined’ look. You actually lose features, such as tempo control. Most prefer to use the 2-deck video skin when hosting Karaoke with DEX 3.

The History in DEX 3 already does save singer history indefinitely? It also saved key steps if applied when adding songs to rotation. So you can send the singers/songs back to rotation via drag and drop (and key changes will be maintained). You search a singer by simply typing in “S:Singers Name here” – that will bring up the specific singers entire history. Key changes are applied, as well. Drag and drop a song from history to rotation and you’ll see the singers name, the song, and the key adjustment. Saving ‘tempo’ isn’t something that’s supported, as tempo changes are made in the deck, on the fly. Not pre-applied when sending songs to rotation — kinda a different animal entirely. Are saved ‘tempo’ changes something karaoke hosts do? I’ve had maybe 5 requests for this in the last 4-5 years, all from solo artists (not KJs).

This video goes over (but not in it’s entirety) how singer history works and how you can send singers/songs/key changes back to rotation (I’ve got the video cued up to the proper start point): https://youtu.be/mnL1Fkqig_Y?t=467

DaedalusWren
    Participant

I have tried it several times and it does happen. Not when loading a song manually via drag and drop, but when I have a list of singers with songs and press the ‘Load Next Singer’ button. The song begins to play as soon as it begins to load and if the intro starts before the song is fully loaded, I hear the sudden increase in volume when the songs gain is normalized. Now this does not happen when using for DJ music and two decks, as the music is loaded well before it is needed to play, but the Karaoke is an on demand when using the LYRX skin and as such it is loaded when the next singer steps up.

Thank you for the information on bringing up the singers history, and as for the saved tempo, I have a following that are pretty good singers, some are in such shows as 50’s/60’s/Elvis tribute shows. And yes, they will ask for specific song/manufacturer with key & tempo changes.

The Software I have used up to now saves Pitch/Tempo for each singer in their history. In all honesty, the software I currently use is almost perfect for the task, including a slider to allow syncing of the lyrics to the song in something has gotten out of wack. However DEX3 has Gain Normalization and a wider pitch change adjustment. Which for the group that follow me are two huge pluses. This is the reason I am keeping my eye on the Karaoke functionality of DEX3. I already use DEX3 exclusively when DJ’ing and would like to if possible use it for all my entertainment needs.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

I’m testing here and cannot produce this ‘jump’ when using load next singer. I tried on songs that have never been loaded prior, as well. If a song is played once, or analyzed prior, it will not need to be adjusted on the fly (will be applied as soon as the track is loaded). I will keep testing and send this to development for their own review, as well.

Surprising that in the 14 years we’ve offered Karaoki, I’ve had little to no requests for saving tempo changes – and those users were solo artists (singers). Would have to think of a method to offer this, have a couple ideas already…

Karaoki also has a lyrics offset function to synchronize out of step lyrics/scroll. This is something we’ve talked about doing in DEX 3/LYRX, but it’s not a priority at the moment. I know it can be an issue with mp3+G files (not MP4).

So much on the To-Do list…

bbshopplf
    bbshopplf
    Participant

I too am more than happy with Dex3; it does everything it should.

I sometimes have multiple versions of the same song, and I’d like to see which one is FLAC (over mp3), or, which one has a higher bitrate.

If either or both of these could be added as Columns we could select to see in our tracklist, that’d be great.

Far from a “necessity”, but, I noticed this thread in the forum and it occurred to me that I do think this sometimes when I’m playing.

Of course, if that would add any significant stress to the processor or in any way slow things down – nevermind. 🙂

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

It’s a good suggestion, and something others have requested. It’s already somewhere on the ‘to-do’ list. 🙂

MusicMan
    Participant

Hello Ryan

A little over a year ago you said that Smart Playlists were on the to do list.
    Are they still there and do you know when we might see them?.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Still on there, there’s just been other features/support items that have continued to leap frog them in priority over the last year. Right now, we’re about to release support for SoundCloud – submitting today for their review (and will need some testers in a couple of days). We then have to finalize our remote request system (for karaoke singer/song requests) and a few other open items. I’d very much like to see Smart Lists too, such as the “suggestion” list we did quite a bit of work on already.

Rayzerblayd
    Participant

A BPM manual entry that can go above 180 BPM otherwise Suggs Cecelia (106 BPM) is listed alongside Amy Winehouse Valerie (212 bpm)

Rayzerblayd
    Participant

Any chance of a reply here

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Hello, this is a wishlist forum, and we do review it. We will not always reply, nor will we always implement, but we will always review and consider. The way the BPM detection algorithm works right now does have the range limitation as you posted, and we have planned a pretty big re-write to the engine and beat grid tech. Hope to have this done at some point this year – but have a few projects ahead of it at the moment.

inrealitydj
    Participant

Integration with Spotify would be AWESOME!

inrealitydj
    Participant

Spotify has over 20 million songs. Sometimes having a weird request it comes in super handy to play in an instant. Algoriddim uses it but that software really sucks.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Unfortunately, Spotify is actually off limits to DJs – it’s not legal for commercial use (home use only). Algoriddim got in bed with them when they had a very ‘consumer’ oriented DJ software product. They are also the only company with solid API/SDK access – others that have tried to integrate using their SDK end up with very bad bandwidth issues and throttling. One DJ software in particular removed support for Spotify after launching it due to the various issues.

The GOOD news is we’re about to launch support for SoundCloud Go+ in DEX 3 – which is SoundCloud’s new competitive subscription to Spotify. They have over 200M+ songs – from popular and up-and-coming artists. It’s all the stuff Spotify has, and more. It’s only going to cost $9.99 a month, as well.

inrealitydj
    Participant

After using for just a few days and one thing I would really like to see is how long, in time, is my playlist. Count the time of the total songs. I’m a “prepper” and if I have a 4 hour gig I try to add 4 hours of songs or close to it also allowing for requests. Just helps me plan. Virtual DJ has this and I use it quite a bit actually. Just a suggestion.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

It’s a good suggestion — and something already on our ‘to-do list’ 🙂

BASS Entertainment
    Participant

Hi Ryan,

Loving this program BTW.

I would like to make a feature request for the next update please.

The only thing I find that your program is missing is the option to have a separate output for the bar, and one for the singer/bar TV. I have been asked many times if I can advertise drink specials to the display (which DEX does do, but only between singers/tracks). There has also been situations where I would like to tell a singer to hold the mic closer, or not step in front of the speaker. This would keep from embarrassing or interrupting the singer. The ability to send this message to the second video output would make your program untouchable by the rest of the market, in my opinion (though it’s pretty darn close now).

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Thanks, and I’m simply not sure if that’s going to be possible in DEX 3 without a major re-write of the video engine. Just being honest! DEX 3 runs like a “game” and the way the screen 2 lyrics/video window works is pretty unique. DEX 3 runs in it’s own environment, much like a game, and I don’t recall the exact conversation I had with development about this in the past, but that does present issues for having a ‘third’ interface (screen 3). We’ll have to see. We do plan to introduce a news ticker/singer scroll fairly soon, so it will display while songs are playing (across the bottom of the screen).

StarMaker2020
    Participant

Integration with SongbookDB. Can be used with both DJ and Karaoke.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

StarMaker2020 — we are working on our own remote singer/song request system for DEX 3 (the basic version will be free for DEX 3 users as well). It will automatically sync with your DB, among other things. No public release timeline just yet!

StarMaker2020
    Participant

Ryan, it’s the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger. The only other fix might be to allow pasting into the search box and the singer’s name. because while it might be nice to have a basic version, I rely on features like the ability to advertise future shows, show perspective clients what songs that I have to offer etc. If your request system doesn’t offer this then I’d rather keep using SongbookDB and copy and pasting my requests as they come in (or type it in as I have to now). As it it is t maintain a fair rotation without having to resort to memory, I have to open up Notepad to copy and paste the names into an actual rotation so that I can remember who is first in the rotation and who follows who.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

We’re working on it 🙂

StarMaker2020
    Participant

I decided to pull the trigger. One suggestion though coming from someone who has used a lot of other products. It would be great to add some sort if way to indicate to Dex where to drop the new singer into the rotation itself. I have always been able to tell my software who the top of the rotation was and have it drop the new singer before them in the list.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Great! Some users have asked about how to ‘mark someone last’ in rotation. We’ve always had the newly added singer go the bottom of the list, in all our pro karaoke show hosting products (including Karaoki, which has been on the market for 13 years). We do have this somewhere on our ‘to-do list’. A customer recently explained to me how they would envision it working and it made a lot of sense.

You can drag and drop to re-order singers, and if you double-click a singers name it will move them all the way to the top of the list. Just some tips, for now.

BTW, you should join our Facebook User Group — a lot more active these days than these message forums. Here

StarMaker2020
    Participant

I would really like to be able to scroll messages across the screen during songs with who’s next, drink specials, upcoming events for the venue etc.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

You can use the text/image/video overlay feature for really in-depth and visually stimulating ads etc, but the ‘scroll’ for signers and more is already in our ‘to-do’. It’s a big list. 😉

StarMaker2020
    Participant

I hate to add to the list but when you do the interface for the remote request system, could you include an onboard keyboard to the skin that the singers see, in case I want to run a touchscreen monitor from a computer as a kiosk.

nynrgtrader
    Participant

The ability to print a songbook directly from Dex3.
    The ability to incorporate AutoTune Software

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

You can create a songbook pretty easily with DEX 3 right now. See here: https://www.pcdj.com/dex-3-pro-tip-creating-a-karaoke-song-book/

How would you envision ‘autotune’ to work? It seems to me you’d need to then route your mic input through DEX 3 – not something I see many pro KJs doing.

StarMaker2020
    Participant

With the remote request system that’s coming, do you see an app for a second computer for those who don’t have smartphones? How hard would it be to add a print button for someone working in a no Wi-Fi environment but has access to a thermal pos printer?

hello I would like the automatic synchronization engine to be more precise and that the sync button was not play at the same time that it was switchable the pitch that was like Traktor and better mixer effects of video greetings

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

What do you mean by “switchable the pitch”? Just curious. SYNC is cross-fader position dependent right now, so make sure that the crossfader is on the opposite side of the deck you press SYNC on for it to attempt synchronization properly. Just a tip 🙂

MusicMan
    Participant

Hello
    I might be missing something very simple here.
    This is the scenario, I have songs loaded in playlist (far right list) and “AUTO” is turned on.
    I sometimes need a little time between songs (for announcements etc), I turn “”AUTO” off and let the current song finish.
    When ready to continue I normally just turn “AUTO” back on and it’s OK.
    Occasionally I will forget and hit “”PLAY” on the deck I want to play next but as the fader is still on the deck Just played I get silence.
    Like I said I guess I am missing something simple.

a couple of different sound effected video scenes for the video background when you’re not playing a video, just music. Right now it’s 3 colored lines that squiggle but it would be cool to have some other patterns like color wheel or spectrum analyzer.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

You can already do this, Karl. That’s a “shader” displaying on screen. There is a drop down menu at the top of DEX 3 for “shader” where you can select other shaders to display on screen. You can also install and add other shaders for visualizations – here some more info: https://www.pcdj.com/dex-3-visualizations-shader-round-up/

When you have a image set for video overlays (like the company logo set with opacity low) and shaders set, when you play a video, the overlay and shader remains and disrupts the video. It would be nice to have a toggle that allows video overlays and shaders to be automatically turned off when a video is playing, then return when the video is done. That way the video overlay and shaders can be used as part of the lighting when videos are not playing.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Thanks, Karl. It would be a good ‘option’ for those that want it. I always want my logo showcased, bottom left hand side of the screen with about 60% opacity. An option to disable shaders when playing a regular video file would be a nice add.

I would like a way to filter out words like “explicit” in my searches… good to have for school dances so I don’t accidently play a naughty song…

Viewing 67 posts - 171 through 237 (of 237 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.