Back to DEX 3 Support Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

CapitalSound
    Participant

I had a wedding June 11th this year. I setup the Friday night before. Everything was fine, I went through a few songs for the reception. I then shut down DEX, closed the laptop, took it with me. When I arrived the next morning, luckily early, when I opened the laptop and restarted the DEX 3.6.0.1 version, All of my lists were gone, even the database of music was not showing up. luckily the music was still were I left it. Would any one know why this would happen? I had updated to the current version 3.6.0.1 a few weeks ago, I had a few gigs between, Everything worked well. It was a little disconcerting when that happened. The laptop is an ASUS. Actually the same one recommended in a previous blog posting. It has been flawless so far. Thanks for any help.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Hello,

Are you certain that the software properly and entirely shut down previous to the issue? Meaning if the software shut down incorrectly or the like (such as turning off the machine before DEX 3 is finished saving) it could corrupt the DB – so it won’t load the next time. Haven’t really seen this in ages though – it was much more common with DEX 2.

It also could be a bad tag (as in the last file you added to the software may have had a really corrupt header/tag that caused the DB to parse when it attempted to save on shut down). If this was the case though, after you re-loaded your entire library it should have happened again. I suggest building your DB again (you likely have already) and then follow these instructions on how to make a backup in case of emergency like this:

Please let me know if you have any further questions!

CapitalSound
    Participant

Hey Ryan,

Thanks for the reply. I usually shut down the software, and wait for it to completely Leave the screen. That said, it’s possible it could have been hung up, but the screen was clear. I know that I had some dead links in the database. I usually delete them as I come across the duplicate entries. If one doesn’t work, I delete it.

If I want to just refresh the database, What is the best way to do that without creating any issues?

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

OK thanks, maybe a fluke occurrence, but def make a backup moving forward in case this happens again.

If you want a truly fresh library again so you can make sure you have no dead links in the search cache etc – then with DEX 3 closed open up Documents -> PCDJ-DEX3 -> Database and DELETE the database file in that folder. When you open up DEX 3 you’ll have a fresh library.

CapitalSound
    Participant

Will it then retain the user lists? I just simply open the software and it will reindex the database?

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Deleting the database file will remove all lists, the DB, the history, and the internal database and tag/search cache when deleting the DB file. If you want to retain user lists you should export them first – right click and export as M3U. Then you can create an empty list and import the saved M3U into it after opening up DEX 3 (you will have a completely fresh library).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.