Back to DEX 3 Support Forum
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

mrmagoo
    Participant

I am stilling getting audio dropouts. It is time that the developers start spending more time on making this a rock solid program that never has dropouts and your sound system goes dead. That is not acceptable in the DJ world. My reputation is running on your product.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Yes agreed, but this doesn’t seem to be a typical issue – checking support tickets/logs etc, and there’s nothing there about drop outs on machines that meet or exceed our requirements (including having enough RAM for the size of your library).

Can you please post your specifications again? And, how many files total you feel you have imported?

DEX 3 buffers the entire track into RAM so that you should NEVER get drop outs. This must be something local with this in mind. Most certainly not happening to me (mixed for a few hours this weekend, HD videos too…)

mrmagoo
    Participant

I attached a file with the list of all my specs on my help ticket. Can you look at it there? If not I will attach it here tonight when i get home. Also I have a question on how to uninstall and reinstall if needed on the general forum. Thanks. Also going to try at the suggestion of your support team to set it up with the computers audio card and not my Numark card and see if I am still getting dropouts.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Thanks, what numark card are you using? Does it use WASAPI or ASIO? Can you adjust latency higher?

Please post your specifications here later, I’m not able to access tickets personally.

mrmagoo
    Participant

The numark card (DJiO2 set at 5.8 ms or 256) is and I am using ASIO (It does have WASAPI but not using). Adjusted latency higher and still had drop outs. Not seeing a way to attach file here. I have a doc that has all the specs on it so I don’t have to retype all the time. Will copy and paste.
    Computer
    HP Pavilion with Windows 10 home version
    Processor Intel® Core ™ i5-6200U CPU @2.30 GHz
    Ram 12.0GB (11.9 GB usable)
    System type 64 bit operating system x64 based processor

Graphic Card
    Intel® HD graphics 520 Total available graphics memory 6212 MB.
    Dedicated video memory 128 MB
    System video memory 0 MB
    Shared system memory 6088 MB

Using Dex 3.7.5.1
    Sound card
    Numark DJiO2 using Numark DJiO2 ASIO @ 5.8 ms or 256K at 44100 sample rate.

Total number of tracks on 1-29-17
    16.6 GB
    3132 files in 100 folders.

mrmagoo
    Participant

At this point it is starting to look like it is my sound card. I run the program for 3-4 hours using the realtek drivers and the headphones output. I did not have any audio dropouts. Will get to really test again this Saturday when I do my basketball games. If it is my sound card I will get different cards, what cards do you suggest?

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

You could simply try bumping up the latency on the sound card. Are you mixing music videos with this machine? Keep in mind a shared graphics card like that isn’t suitable for HD video mixing, but SD should be fine. (and may indeed play HD videos fine most of the time, but could lead to performance issues).

I would open up the Numark control desk with DEX 3 closed and try upping the latency to the next step up to see if that resolves it first. If not, you could try the popular focusrite Scarlett 2i4.

If you are mixing videos and the only issue is this drop out, then upping the latency on the Numark ASIO driver may be the only fix you need!

mrmagoo
    Participant

I am not mixing videos and have run it at a higher latency. Still had issues. How high on the latency? Will test that tonight.

mrmagoo
    Participant

If I do end up going with different sound cards, what ones have seemed to work the best?

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

If DJs aren’t using a DJ controller with a pro audio interface baked in, the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 is an ideal solution. We have a blog post that talks about it here:

You can get the Pioneer DDJ-SB2 for only $247 right now online if you want a nice simple DJ controller with a great audio interface built in.

mrmagoo
    Participant

The one I have is one of those you are talking about. Well lets see if it is the latency. What dj controllers seem to be the most trouble free and popular?

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Scroll down the blog post – we discuss the Scarlett 2i4 there as well.

mrmagoo
    Participant

I did read the whole article. The Scarlett just has a lot more then I really need, but if that is what it takes to solve my issues then I will be looking at them and maybe even going with a DJ controller.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

I still think you simply need to up the latency on the Numark ASIO control desk – the next step up and the audio drop outs would likely go away. That’s what the latency slider (buffer) setting is for – if you get sound issues or drop outs, just increase latency a notch or two to compensate.

Thus you shouldn’t have to buy anything! The Scarlet 2i4 is a nice back up plan however. There simply aren’t many basic audio interface options on the market anymore that offer 2 stereo outputs with ASIO support.

mrmagoo
    Participant

I have been running both computers today for over 4 hours. Straight audio no video. 1st computer (Main) just running in auto play. Started at 512 or 11.6 ms ran for a little over 45 minutes and dropped out. I have to go to the numark panel and bump the latency slider to get the sound back. Moved the latency slider to 1600 or 36.3 ms about 2 hours later the audio dropped out. Did the same as the first time to the slider to get audio back. Ran the latency to 4096 or 92.9 ms (it will not go any higher) and after about a hour and a half the audio dropped out. This time it came back on its own but dropped again after only seconds and I had to again bump the slider to get audio back. Shut it down after that.

The second computer (Backup) I started the latency at 1024 or 23.2 ms. This computer i was working and playing with. I am more then likely going to get JammText and have been playing with the video section. I want to be able to put up a few loops and make some odds and ends overlays and put up my logo. I clicked on the video setup and the extra screen button and lost my audio. Got it back by moving latency slider and tried it again and it kept playing, but dropped out two or three minutes later. Fixed the audio by the slider and set it to 2144 or 48.6 ms. Kept messing with it and it has played with no drop out for at least a hour and a half. Shut it down.

I will copy and paste this in my support ticket also.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

James, I see that you have a support ticket in with this same details? Please try to keep it in one place or the other, and not both – no need for anyone to do double the work 😉

Support already responded to the ticket – suggesting it doesn’t seem like a latency issue, but rather the card itself or a USB port issue (such as power saving options being turned on). You can try a different USB port as well, but please respond to the support ticket on this directly so they can continue to assist!

mrmagoo
    Participant

Ok, I will say that it was not my intention to turn this into a trouble shooting thread. More then anything this started out of me venting my frustration at what is going on. I am sorry that it morphed into more. I will attempt in the future to state that I have a support ticket or you can say this should go to support. Now if we are going to talk about doing double the work that needs to also happen on the troubleshooting end. I have been getting at least 2 people working on this issue and one day person 1 asks for the specs and I provide them and then person 2 does not read above and get on board with the problem and asks for specs that I have already supplied. Bitch over I will move on.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Yes, I’m just trying to avoid miscommunication like that. We do indeed from time to time have more than one tech answer a ticket – and when the thread gets really long (like yours) it collapses previous responses – so the attached specs were hidden to ‘tech 2’. Regardless, they are on top of it now it seems – and please continue to respond to the tickets directly as you have been.

Thank you!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.