Ok after that long thread I got it fixed lol. I went ahead and watched the video on how to back up and restore the database. I wasn’t wanting to back up the database if it was corrupted but while watching the video it showed me where the database file was. On a pc go the the document folder, go into the dex 3 folder and delete the database folder. When you open dex3 3 it will give you the option to import your files again. It fixed it. I am still kind of disappointed that I submitted a ticket and haven’t heard anything back. I really do like this software quite a bit though. I hope they get support for Spotify soon.