DJ Software | DEX 3.14 with macOS Catalina Support & More is Ready for Download!
DEX 3.14 (for Windows & Mac) is ready for download!
We’re proud to announce DEX 3 is ready for macOS Catalina. The new 3.14 version of our top DJ mixing software includes extensive under-the-hood updates and improvements — most notably the change over from the prior OpenGL API to Metal (macOS).
Catalina brought major changes to the macOS graphics API, moving from the OpenGL to Metal. This required our development team to refactor our graphics engine entirely. A byproduct of having to dig deep into our code is development was able to apply extensive optimizations, which improves overall performance and lightens the load on your CPU (your laptop will thank you as it won’t need to work as hard and will remain cooler!).
Since our our DEX 3 code is cross-platform the Windows iteration received the same extensive graphics engine updates.
A few other notable changes and additions in DEX 3.14 are:
- In prior versions we used “Documents” as the storage location for the DEX 3 data folder. At times this presented issues with saving/writing data (largely due to permissions related issues, corrupt user profiles on Windows, Microsoft One Drive, and other security measures brought on by Catalina). When you install the new DEX 3 update it will migrate your existing user data to the new location so you will not need to start over. A new button has been added in DEX 3’s options to access the new location of the LYRX data folder making for easy access.
- To speed up the process of locating singer history we’ve added a “Singer Search” feature to the search window. Click the “S” button in the search window and type in a search for one of your karaoke singers names. This will instantly bring up the singers history in the search results pane.
- Native support for the new Music app (formally known as iTunes) is also included.
- Important: The latest 3.14 version comes with system requirement changes. Due to the major changes to the graphics engine and other underlying upgrades, you will need to be running Windows 8.1/Windows 10, or macOS 10.14 or higher.
Now that this major maintenance release of DEX 3 is ready for live performance we can get back to our to-do list of new features! Quite a few new features and improvements where shelved during the Catalina-induced re-write that we can finally get back to. Expect to see new features and other improvements soon!
What’s New, Changed, and Fixed in DEX 3.14
- macOS Catalina support (NOTE: If you receive this warning “setup_dex3_3.14_mac.pkg can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. this software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information” when installing to macOS Catalina please follow the steps on Apple’s website to install DEX 3)
- OpenGL to Metal (macOS Catalina Graphics API)
- Using new modern way to access Music (iTunes) library
- Moved Location of data (PCDJ-DEX3) folder to prevent various access/saving issues
- Added button to access user data folder in DEX 3’s options (top right of General tab)
- Added new setting: “Use max framerate for video/graphics” (works on both Windows and Mac)
- Added Karaoke “Singer Search” in search window. Click the “S” button in the search windows and then type in one of your karaoke singers names to display their singer history immediately.
- Extensive optimizations, Performance improvements, and bug fixes
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you receive this warning “setup_dex3_3.14_mac.pkg can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. this software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information” when installing to macOS Catalina please follow the steps on Apple’s website to install DEX 3.
Have questions about the latest 3.14 version of our DEX 3 DJ software? Please leave them in the comments section below!