Tagged: 

Back to General PCDJ Discussions
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

floorshaker
    Participant

Hi. I am interested in the software as I do regular karaoke nights. I have a rather large karaoke collection, numbering over 200,000 tracks organised in folders of the name of each company, all stored on a 4TGig hard drive. Can you tell me if the software can handle this amount and if you have to create a media library before the search function will work. Also, are there any video effects that can be used as a background between tracks and can you put text information on the screen easily on top of the background. Thank you.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

Yes, Karaoki (our stand-alone karaoke software) will handle 200K + tracks. However, I would suggest importing that amount of dat/tracks into 3 different cases – just for speed of use sake.

However, you CAN import all files into one big ‘case’ – and if so I would suggest always using the “search results” tab. This way you don’t have to physically load the case (Aka click on it), you can just use the search results library view to search your DB of karaoke tunes.

You’re not technically creating a media library, but you are creating a local database – so that you can create songbooks (directly from Karaoki), have support for remote request tools, singer/song history etc. You are not physically moving your media, however.

You can use your own background images (and slideshow) behind both the lyrics output and ‘next singers’ screen that displays between songs. No video support for this at the moment, however.

Let us know if you have any further questions!

floorshaker
    Participant

Hi Ryan. Thanks for the speedy reply. It all sounds good to me, especially the idea of online support which would be a great help at times of stress. Is there a Users’ Manual that comes with the software please? At the moment, I have one laptop running Windows 7 and one running Windows 10. The software I am using doesn’t work on 10 and so that is why I am interested in yours. You say we can use up to three hosts – would I be able to run it on both please? Regards. Chris

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Karaoki can indeed be used on three different machines — and you get free upgrades for life!

There is a user guide that installs with Karaoki. Check under programs -> Karaoki -> user guide (or search machine for Karaoki guide). You can also find a lot of help via our karaoke tutorial videos here.

floorshaker
    Participant

Oh dear, not impressed so far – sorry! Downloaded the free trial and noticed that the licence agreement says it is for two machines and not three as you stated. Opened the interface and it seems very unhelpful for a new user. Went to Karaoki and there was no User Guide, but there was a Karaoki_Manual_v1.08 which is take it is the user guide and then reading it I find that you have to understand DEX or RED before you can use it? Never heard of either of them! I know I am being ‘picky’ and it has been a long tiring day and I am also trying to deal with incessant ‘pop-ups’ on my new Windows 10 machine, but all I am is an OAP who runs karaoke evenings for large hotels in my area and all I need is something that is easy to use and understand and so far this isn’t it. Will try again tomorrow and see if I can understand all this stuff a little better after a good night’s sleep.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Thanks! It is 3 activation’s – we used to make the third one a ‘secret’ – basically so that it was there in case of emergency. All information on the Karaoki product page is accurate and explains the three license policy. I’ll see about updating the EULA which is likely the original copy (thanks for pointing it out!).

The user guide is helpful, but when it references the old ‘plug in’ mode (where it would add on to DEX 1 or RED mobile 1) you can skip it. That data is only pertinent to older builds that worked in plug in mode (something that has gone the way of the caveman).

Is this your first foray into using Karaoke software? The work flow is very unique, nothing like any other media software. That’s primary due to how everything works based on the rotation list and the singer/song history capabilities. You may get a better jump start on things by going through some of our video tutorials for Karaoki here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYCb1_l2bbb46gxe-m3zfNAT2tgDwAGER

If you need to be walked through the basics (really that’s all you’d need to get a grasp on things) than just call me: 877-999-7235 ext 1

We may be able to setup a remote session as well to show you a few things! I strongly believe Karaoki is one of the easiest pro-karaoke software applications available. If you do not need singer/song history or advanced rotation management you may want to look at our DEX 3 software however – while the karaoke features are somewhat limited in comparison DEX 3 does follow more ‘standard’ media player guidelines. It may be easier for you!

Let me know, thanks!

floorshaker
    Participant

Hi Ryan. Sorry, but I was on a bad day the other day and had had some problems with in-house PA where I worked and so was not in a good mood to sort new software out. I have been using ClubDJPro VJ for nearly 10 years on Windows 7 and it is the perfect software for karaoke. No automated systems, just create a media library (which takes all day in my case) and then the search for tracks is blindingly quick, easy to update and the display has installed backgrounds to fade in at the end of the karaoke songs, can insert text messages and logos anywhere on the screen when necessary. I work in a hotel where we sometimes have 20-30 people waiting to sing. With all the interruptions of people wanting to know this and that and whatever and then leaving before it’s their turn or coming in late where I have to let them sing if they are residents of the hotel, I have always found an automated system cannot or struggles to cope in this kind of environment. Virtual DJPro is one example, where the automated karaoke just can’t cope with large numbers of singers and is more of a hindrance than a help. Why I am looking elsewhere is that ClubDJPro is now no longer in existence and there is no version that runs on Windows 10. That is why your system will be a great boon to my business if I can get it up and running. I will give it another try over the next few days and get back to you. Very impressed by your support though. Brilliant! Regards. Chris

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Chris, honestly, maybe you should just try our DEX 3 DJ/VJ/KJ software? It’s like club DJ pro (but significantly better! 🙂 ) and does audio, video and karaoke in one. It has a much more basic singers list, but it’s very capable for karaoke. It will handle 1 million songs with ease, and search as you type is instantaneous. You can also do text, image and video overlays – as well as put a video loop or image behind the next singers display. This is among many other things. It’s a true all in one DJ software.

However, it doesn’t have the singer management capabilities that Karaoki has – no singer/song history as well. But from the sounds of it, that’s not really important to you?

To remove a singer from the singers list in DEX 3 just click on the singers name and click “DELETE” on your keyboard, they’re gone as well as their song.

In Karaoki you can simply double click the singers name and click the IN ROTATION toggle to pull them out.

We will be launching a new karaoke subscription service within DEX 3 in about 1 week as well. It will have 12,000 songs for starters but will run $99-a-month (it’s a commercially legal karaoke subscription like Karaoke Cloud Pro, but from another provider).

You can download and try DEX 3 on this page: http://www.pcdj.com/dj-software/dex-3/

Let me know how it goes! Always here to help if you need it 🙂

floorshaker
    Participant

Hi Ryan. Had to miss a few days because of work commitments, then my Lenovo G50 had a virus problem (you know the sort, freezing the screen and demanding that you ring a certain number etc etc), so I just shut it down and did a Reset to Factory Settings on it and it is fine. From now on I will not use the Internet on this machine, just DEX-3 which should avoid any further problems. I have now downloaded the trial version of DEX-3 and am keen to get started. How would you advise me to continue please? I have around 30,000 audio tracks on the laptop hard drive which I would like to access for playing music for discos and also, when I do karaoke, over 250,000 karaoke tracks on a Seagate Backup Plus 4TB external drive. Should I create a Case for each? It is important that I can search all the files on the external hard drive so that I can set up the next song quickly. Having to choose between maybe 20-30 versions of My Way is exhausting, but some singers do ask ‘Do You Have the Mr Entertainer version please’, so it is handy. At the moment, I use an in-House desktop to play audio tracks inbetween karaoke songs and fade in/fade out on the in-House mixer, fading in/out an effects screen at the same time, but their song media library is pretty limited. I was wondering if this can all be done on DEX-3 in the 4-deck mode? Thanks. Chris

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

No worries!

First a general explanation:
    The very first time you open a folder in DEX 3 it starts to read in all the tag data from the songs in that folder – and add all the contents to the internal database and ‘search cache’. If you click on a large folder, it may take some time to read in all the tag data (as it builds the database and cache). If a folder isn’t done importing, when you click on another folder you will not see ANY songs displayed UNTIL the first folder finishes it’s import. Of course, this only has to be done the very first time (any time you click on a folder after the first time it will load instantly – in every session forward).

HOWEVER – most users, before they even start adding folders under favorites, do a bulk import into the master database. Simply right-click on the parent folder (or hard drive letter) where all files reside and select “add to database” This will start creating a master list of ALL music under the music folder (no matter how many folders/levels deep). When you add the folder, and the software says “this folder has been added” click OK – and then click on the database name (list) at the very top left side of the browser. SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM of the list, you will see songs pilling into the list from the bottom. You want to make sure this process is done (so you do not see any more songs pilling in from the bottom of the list) before adding any more music or the like.

Now, I would then suggest nesting your folders as favorites (under explorer in DEX 3 access the folder the files are in and right click on the folder – select “add to favorites). Then, if you add music to one of the folders on your hard drive, just open up DEX 3 and click on the corresponding folder that new songs were added to. As soon as you “see” the songs display in the middle section of the DEX 3 browser they are added to the internal DB and search cache (no need to also add them to the physical database list as this point).

While you can use DEX 3’s deck 3/4 to manually play songs in between singers, some users simply stack regular songs in between karaoke songs in the singers list (sidelist) and use Automix or mix next to play them in between karaoke songs. If you’re hands on however, might as well just use deck 3 or 4 for filler music.

I hope that helps!

floorshaker
    Participant

Hi Ryan. I tried the bulk import of my music files on the laptop onto DEX-3 and it changed the filenames – some only read as ‘track 9’ or the like which isn’t of any use for me. I need them exactly as they appear in Windows Media Player. ClubDJPro does this as standard. Is there anything under Options that will help me do this please? Thanks. Chris

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

That’s interesting Chris, as DEX 3 uses/reads standard id3 tags (standard metadata). We do not do anything unique in this regard, and we definitely do not “change” file names or tags — we use the standard tagging system found in pretty much all DJ software.

Are the files that aren’t displaying properly karaoke files, perhaps (if not, what file format are they in)? If they are, and especially if they are zip files, than the files likely do not have Id3tags at all. Also, depending on the file name and separation character used between items (like artist – title) the data may indeed appear differently in DEX 3’s browser than some other software that’s designed to exclusively read file names (or lump them into one field). We have made it so that when a file with “artist – title” as the file name is automatically separated into the appropriate corresponding column in the DEX 3 browser. This may be why you see some anomalies.

Please let me know what the file type is when you can. You can also let me check out a file in question – just email it to rsherr AT PCDJ dot com.

Also, have you tried to toggle the library view mode to see if the track data appears better for you that way? Right click in the center browser library pane (where you see your songs) and select “toggle view mode” – that will toggle to a spreadsheet style view (if you are already in this view try the default view).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.