Back to DEX 3 Support Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

djsurfjunkie
    Participant

HI.. I’m using Dex 3.7 and my user lists used to save and update to saved playlist automatically…not now, does it not do that now and do I have to save it by only export now…this is on a new computer with a new paid program..old computer that I use as back up that has been upgraded from dex 2 to dex 3 still saves it to saved playlists upon closing program…thank you… Overall Great Product

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Thanks! However, I’m a little confused I think. DEX 3 has never auto-updated playlists. If you nest your folders as favorites, to add new songs to the search cache/internal database you just need to click on the folder you added new songs to – once you “see” the songs load in the middle library pane they are added.

Playlists are just that, playlists. They are static lists – so if you want something added to one you need to manually add the tracks.

I may be missing the point here – so let me know!!

djsurfjunkie
    Participant

Thanks for answering.. If I have one of my user lists pulled up, ex.”dance party” while useing Dex3 and search and add a song to it and then exit out of the program should it save the added song to the existing list in my folder C:\Users\surfj\OneDrive\Documents\PCDJ-DEX3\Playlists\dance party without actually having to export the whole playlist to this folder again.. Thank you

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Sorry, still confused! In DEX 3 all playlists etc SAVE to the internal database. The ‘database’ file located in Documents -> PCDJ-DEX3 -> Database.

All playlists, the physical database list and any folders contents you ever open (to view once) in DEX 3 save to the internal ‘database’ file. There is no ‘playlists’ folder anymore – that was last used in DEX 3.3 I believe (maybe even earlier).

Playlists should still always display as soon as you open the software – exactly how they were before you properly shut down DEX 3.

If you want to move playlists to another machine as an M3U playlist file you can indeed right click -> export playlist.

Let me know if this helps – or not!

Ronzo
    Participant

I have a playlist question. While using DEX 3, w-hen I move a song to one of my playlist’s to play later, and I then happen to add it a second or even a third time, why does it continually keep adding the track? It seems like the playlist would know that the song has already been added, like it does when I use PCDJ-VJ?

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

HI Ronzo,

Because it’s quite possible someone may want a specific track in a playlist more than just once?

People use DEX 3 for all types of things, such as theatrical events for example – and they may re-play the same track three or four times during the event.It’s better to have full flexibility than hard-coded ‘rules’ like that IMO. You have the flexibility to add the song as many times as you wish, or not. You can simply remove the song by clicking on it and clicking the ‘delete’ button on your keyboard.

WillieBob
    Participant

Don’t want to hijack the thread but I have a quick question about User Lists: I’ve spent literally months compiling user lists, but over the weekend the contents of the lists just vanished. The labels are still there and the source files are still on my PC but the lists are now empty, I know it must be something I’ve inadvertently clicked but I can’t work it out. Any idea? Ta.

ps, It would be great to be able to put a safety lock on the lists.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

WillieBob, did this happen with DEX 3.8 (or 3.7.5.1)? I haven’t seen a list drop like that in a few versions, but usually the cause is a really bad/corrupt tag that corrupts the DB and parses your lists. User lists, the database list, and all folders you ever access/open in DEX 3 are part of the same large database file. Thus it sounds like something must have been recently added (a corrupt tag we haven’t witnessed prior, thus we do not have error handling for) that caused this issue.

Have you been making backups of your DB? You should do this from time to time since you can easily restore everything. Here’s a video on how to go about creating a backup: https://youtu.be/kKRUYSD2vpg

No way to really ‘lock’ a list if it get’s corrupted like that – which is my only guess. Of course, if you haven’t yet updated to DEX 3.8 you should do so immediately. With every update there is more error handling for poor/corrupt tags included, as users often send us files that cause issues (and when opening those files in an advanced tag editor you often see strings of data a quarter mile long – lots of embedded garbage that causes the issue).

WillieBob
    Participant

It happened with 3.7.5.1 I’ve updated to 3.8 today. I haven’t been backing up but will be doing from now on!

I was having a bit of a play around this afternoon and I discovered just how easy it is to inadvertently delete user lists…Open List>Right Click (in the left pane)>Clear List An accident waiting to happen don’t you think? I don’t think this happened in my case because I would have needed to have done that multiple times.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

OK, let us know how it goes with 3.8!

The ‘clear list’ function has been that way since DEX 2 launched nearly 5 years ago, I suppose users have gotten accustom to it. We have talked about adding a dialog box for all lists EXCEPT the sidelist for this however (that asks for a confirmation). I’ll see about adding that in soon!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.