Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

dftweedie
    Participant

I have a large CD+G collection, including Sound Choice. I am an ‘occasional’ weekend KJ at private events and local restaurants. I rip my CD+Gs on a one to one basis and use them on a single rig. I can prove I own every song on my rig with a physical CD+G backing me up.

I recently came across Phoenix Entertainment Partners (PEP), owners of Sound Choice and more recently of Chartbuster, “media shift” licensing program information. Basically, if you ‘register’ more than 10 Sound Choice CD+G discs, they want an initial licensing fee of around $100.00 and then monthly fees of $199.00 for a single rig.

Scared the you know what out of me!

However, then I saw at the bottom of their page that participants in some legal suit with/ against them are barred from enrolling in the licensing program. Meaning either, I guess, that there may be pending action to disallow this program or that PEP hopes to really put the screws to the other party.

Then I came across this: http://www.imaginelaw.com/top-myths-about-karaoke-cd-g-users-legal-rights.html

It appears that this is far from a settled issue.

How are others here dealing with this issue?

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Hi Dftweedie,

I think when they state “that participants in some legal suit with/ against them are barred from enrolling in the licensing program” they mean that any KJ/Venue they are currently suing for copyright infringement can’t enroll. That they can’t be protected now by getting licensed, as it’s too late…

Since they own the copyrights to both the SC and CB catalogs now, they can enforce their media shifting policies legally.

It’s an odd scenario from my high-level view of things, but I do think it’s all within their legal rights.

echonation
    echonation
    Participant

Thanks for the article dftweedie . So let me clarify to you from first hand experience here. The only thing SC owns and goes after people for displaying is their trademark (logo). SC does NOT own the rights to the music or anything else beside their trademark. So therefore there is no copyright infringement issue. They send out people to shake down KJs and follow up with the owners of the establishment the KJ does the gig at. Now this is where it gets funny. Saying that they are going to sue for 2 million dollars every time the SC trademark has been displayed. They use the courts as a threat and kind of act like the mafia shaking people down until the establishment gets so scared they settle by paying $10,000-$12,000. So this awesome chick in Texas took the logo out, SC took her to court and lost. Its a trademark issue which ain’t shit. When someone (Kevin Cable )stands up to them they back down, drop the case. Kevin go funded his lawyer fees, go Kev! They have not won a single case and just lost the last appeal they filed. They are greedy bullies who need to treat the people who made them who they are today with respect and appreciation. Word is they are gonna be hit with a class action lawsuit they should quit while they are ahead. I would hate to be around when their karma catches up with them.

dftweedie
    Participant

Echonation … Thanks for the great update. I’ve been reading more on this on the KJ Scene website. There is a lawyer who posts there that works for or is a principle with Phoenix. He gets trashed a lot, but is certainly a ‘grinder.’ There has been lots of discussion of the nature of the court cases. Anyway, I’m no longer concerned.

As I understand it, Phoenix sold their SC catalog to Stingray … but that is not the same as rights to the SC trademark. Funny concept that you could own the name to a product trademark and not own the product.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.