Back to Karaoki Support Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

is there a post/tutorial on how the various rotation modes work?

I hadn’t noticed before but when I was evaluating Karaoki I had a rotation list of 7 singers, and hit the next singer button, which sent the first singer to the bottom. Ok so far so good, but then I added a new singer, and it was placed under the first singer at the very bottom.

If possible i’d prefer it to place the singer at the end of the rotation, but before any singers that have already sung. So in my example the singer would have been placed ‘above’ the first singer.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

If you right click in rotation and go to “rotation options” – you will see an option to put the singer in at the end of rotation. You really want to use “FIXED MODE” unless you’re a solo artist. “LIST MODE” is going to be removed soon, it was the original mode for Karaoki before we created a ‘true’ rotation list.

This has been discussed in various beta testing threads (we publicly test and report on beta versions on the forums), and I believe there is a video tutorial that discusses some of this on our YouTube channel. I do not think there is anything published for the “place singer in at the end of rotation” function as it’s somewhat new in a recent public beta (which is what you’re downloading from the PCDJ website right now as the free trial)

hmm either i’m not grasping something or my definition of end of rotation Is different. What i’m trying to accomplish is to keep the singers In relatively the same order so that If in the first rotation, I sing after someone named John, for example, then in the second rotation, after john sings I know I should be next unless the host has added in a new singer before me.

What is actually happening in the program, is that a new singer is getting added to the very bottom of the list, including the singers who have already sung in the current rotation. So the singers are getting staggered, which is fine if you have a list of 10+ singers, but not so great if you haven’t even finished your first rotation.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Right, so have you tried the option for add the singer at the end of rotation? Under rotation options? That should enter them in at the end of rotation and not at the end of the list. That’s how I understand that feature to work and why it was implemented.

So the “Place Singers in Rotation Last’ option is definitely checked.

upon further reflection, the only thing I can assume is that if a singer has more than 1 song in their que, then I counts as a rotation/turn.

I’ll have to try it with one song/singer and see if that works.

-James

update: I tried it with one singer, and it seems to work out in the end, but not the way I expected it to. Very strange, but not a deal breaker..

So I have done some extensive testing, and unless i’m still doing something wrong, even with the option to put singers at the end checked, it will not work properly if there are multiple songs qued for each singer. It puts any new singers at the very end of the list, instead of placing them at the end of the rotation, as described above.

-James

kyds3k
    Participant

Did you ever figure out a resolution for this? I’m having the same problem, I think – people who have sung a song already are going in front of people who haven’t sung at all yet . . .

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

When you put a singer in rotation, they show up at the end of the list – therefore if a person directly above them sang a couple minutes before they arrived, they will still go in front of the freshly added singer. You can of course drag and drop to position. I think a way to ‘mark singer as first in rotation’ would allow Karaoki to apply logic so that when a new singer comes they can be inserted before the singer you marked as ‘first’. We’ll see what we can come up with!

kyds3k
    Participant

Gotcha! Yeah, my karaoke night has a TON of people requesting to sing, but I’ll have people show up and sign up for 4-5 songs at a time, and so when new people show up, they’re griping because they see this person get up and sing 3 times before they even get to go (I also need to ask people not to sing up to sing with like, every person in the bar lol).

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Actually, that doesn’t make much sense – using “FIXED” rotation mode in Karaoki means that after a singer sings, they drop to the bottom of the list. Thus if the new singer was already at the bottom of the list, they will sing before that person’s time is up again.

So, if a singer has 3 songs in their queue, and you use load next singer to load/play their first song, after 20 seconds they will drop to the last position in the list and it will show the next song in their queue next to their name. If the new singer was placed at the bottom of the list prior to them dropping down, they will sing before the person who just sung.

I hope that makes sense! Are you using the fixed rotation mode? It’s the default rotation mode in all current Karaoki releases.

The way it was explained to me by the tech support people is that any new singers have to wait one full rotation before they get to sing. The reason was that people were complaining that in certain situations people were getting moved to the top of the rotation. So It looks like the only current fix for my situation is to move the names to where I want them.

I think Ryan’s comment about a rotation marker would be an excellent way to make everyone happy.

thanks

kyds3k
    Participant

Ahhh ok. That makes sense. So what constitutes a rotation?
    Rotation marker sounds like a great idea. Right now I’m using the SongBookDB plugin and people are submitting via the app. We get over 100 requests in a night, which I don’t know if that’s impressive but it sure is overwhelming for us just starting out! 🙂

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

That’s quite a few requests, indeed! What constitutes a rotation is keeping singers in a fair-rotation order. If “Bob” comes up and requests three songs at once, you can put him into rotation and stack 3 songs in his personal queue. Bob will rotate down to the bottom of the list after his first song, and his next song will display next to his name. What the debate is now is regarding how Karaoki places a brand new singer in rotation. They go to the bottom of the list, which may not technically be the last position in rotation. You can drag and drop to re-order his/her position if the bottom of the list isn’t really the last place in rotation. You can also simply move them to the top by right-clicking on their name and selection “move to top”

I think if we can place a market of sorts that indicates who’s first, it would allow us to apply logic for where the newly added singer is placed in the list.

If you really are that busy, and wouldn’t mind — we love pictures! Any images of the software in use with singers, preferably from behind the machine so you can see Karaoki on screen, we could use. I’m sure we could work out something for compensation! I haven’t been collecting many new images over the last few months, and could use a few fresh pictures for the site/blog posts. Entirely your call! Just sounds like you have a busy show and that’s the type of thing we love to put on display!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.