Back to DEX 3 RE Support Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Dave4pk
    Participant

Hi Ryan.
    I have quite a lot of duplicate tracks on my hard drive. On the previous pcdj it was quite easy to permanently delete them. On Dex 3 I know that if you highlight the songs and click delete on the keyboard, it will remove the songs from the playlist. However when I search for songs later, the duplicates all reappear again. I’d like to remove them for good.

Also, off topic, but how is the update for the Text to screen coming along?

Dave DB

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Hello Dave,

The issue is that the search cache/internal database are ‘hidden’ and will still contain the old tags/links from the duplicate files. We are working on a recurse function that will automatically address this, but for now you would really have to delete the DB file from documents -> PCDJ-DEX3 -> database (inside that folder). This will clear out everything from the database list, to user lists and the internal database and search cache. So you would be starting with a completely fresh empty browser.

Text to screen is coming along – about 90% done.

Dave4pk
    Participant

Thanks Ryan.
    To be honest, I’m never really too bothered by the duplicates until I’m looking for a song and 15 different versions appear. What I used to do on pcdjvj was if the version was good highlight all the other versions right click and delete them off my system never to be seen again. Going in to the hard drive folders etc is too much messing about during a gig which is the only time I’m bothered enough to delete them. I’ll wait until it can be deleted from dex3. Please let is know once this is sorted as I can start deleting my duplicates again. 😊😊

Thanks for all your hard effort put into this great program. I hope I’m not being too much of a nuisance. 👼👼

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

To be clear, you can “right click” and physically delete the file IN DEX 3, however, the tag info and link will still be in the tag cache/search cache. Therefore you would end up with a dead link in the DB. The re-curse function would address this.

tina rodrigo
    Participant

Please use Dulpicate files deleter,it is very simple to use. But make it sure to keep the important files in back up. Thanks.

Dave4pk
    Participant

Hi Tina.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Its a bit complicared for me to use that because some of the songs I want deleted will not appear as a duplicate because one version might be Sunfly, one might be Sound Choice, one might be EK etc etc.

I like to do it manually so that I can choose the best version and delete the rest. Sometimes I might have 20+ versions of the same song on different labels and not one will be a duplicate as it’s a different label. I just want to get rid of all the rubbish versions and keep the best one. I know sometimes singers have a preference, but if I dont have theur version, theyll have to make do with what I have. I will always supply them with a good version.

Dave.

Johnraf
    Participant

I used to have similar problems too, but after using
    “long path tool” You can use to solve this problem.

Phat Man Blues
    Participant

Hi Ryan,

This has always been a minor but irritating issue for me, also. I would love to use the current fix you suggested BUT I certainly don’t want to lose my user-created lists.

Since this is a pretty old discussion has there been any progress on “a recurse function that will automatically address this”?

Thanks.

PMB

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Yes, and no. If you simply use nested folders (for browsing and to build the search cache) you’ll never have any duplicates. Still much to be done with the browser for sure: there are many items on the ever growing always evolving “to-do” list.

3.8 (public beta) will launch this week, but first for DEX 3 (pro edition) and DEX 3 RE thereafter. A few new features but a better foundation (pretty big re-write of the A/V engine).

craig7
    Participant

Nowadays for duplicate files issue, we use DuplicateFilesDeleter. It’s fast, accurate and easily customable depending on your need.

Phat Man Blues
    Participant

Craig7, thanks for the advice. I will take a look at it. To be honest sometimes I’m not sure if I’m looking at multiple links to the same song or multiple copies of the same song.

I’ve also looked at other programs (Media Monkey a long time ago for example) but I’m afraid I will wind up deleting songs I really want to keep because they share the same name and artist but might be a Live or other version.

I’ll keep you posted should I decide to pull the trigger and try again.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.