Back to Karaoki Support Forum
Viewing 46 posts - 86 through 131 (of 131 total)
  • Author

dftweedie
    Participant

Ryan …I’ve already got Tidal and I like the CD Masters sound quality. I’m not trying to DJ.
    Anyway, I thought the venue paid the licensing fees for public places already.

I’ll have to check out TOS a little closer.

jocarbo
    jocarbo
    Participant

Thanks for the reply, bertiepr but we do use that already. What I was referring to was a program timed ‘time-out’ by Karaoki. Often things get hectic for us since our usual setup is with two KDJs and it’s easy for someone to get lost in the shuffle because we lose track of time. If the program could help manage this aspect by actually timing the ‘time-out’/ break’ it would take control of one more thing so we, as KDJs could concentrate on more important issues.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

DftWeedie,

The venue needs to pay BMI/ASCAP/SESAC, but the content that you’re playing also has to be commercially viable. There are no BMI/ASCAP licenses that will cover services like Tidal in a venue. Tidal would have to come out with a professional tier (Which would likely be a higher price point) specifically designed for commercial use. This is directly from their terms of service agreement:

“5. RESTRICTIONS APPLICABLE TO THE USE OF THE SERVICE
    The Services shall be for private use only and use of the Services in commercial or public settings is not permitted.”

Pulselocker was created specifically to fill this niche. This is why it’s being adopted by most of the popular DJ software on the market – they are quickly becoming the industry standard. It’s all 320kbps MP3 and quite honestly through a house/PA system I don’t think you’d notice a quality difference between Pulselocker’s content and tidal’s. You also have an App so you can create playlists on the go from your phone that sync automatically with the player (such as DEX 3, and Karaoki if we add support).

So it’s clear, the same commercial use legalities apply to Spotify, too – it’s not legal for public performance.

Bottom line is we will not spend considerable development effort (supporting a streaming service in-app is no easy task from a coding standpoint) to support streaming services that aren’t legal for professional use. We wouldn’t put our customers at risk like that. Pulselocker is the only viable streaming service option right now which is why it’s being considered It’s only $9.99 for streaming only – or $19.99 for offline support (Download as many tracks as you wish for offline playback).

Jocarbo – that’s an interesting suggestion indeed. However, I’ve never heard of KJs giving a “time out” to singers. Can anyone else chime in, is that normal? To me it sounds like a bar fight in the making but what do I know! My point is if it’s something many would get use out of we would have to consider it.

Thanks

jocarbo
    jocarbo
    Participant

Ryan,
    Maybe it is only specific to the venues I subscribe to. They are only at active seniors communities where the clientele are mild mannered, for the most part. I’m not saying some seniors are above a good bar brawl, once in a while, mind you. 😉

Joe

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Ha ha! I’m sure! Well, it’s in the wishlist so we’ll have to see.Thank you!

dftweedie
    Participant

Ryan …

Thanks for your full explanation.

PaulChar
    Participant

Hi Guys

As a long time user of PCDJ Karaoki I have made this request on your wish list before but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. No offence meant guys you probably have lots of coding to do but I think this one is an easy add on as the software already has the capability to play almost any video format.
    As a host I run one screen for my performers and a 40 inch screen for the audience so as they can sing along with the performers if they wish, as such I often run music videos between songs but I have to switch between the hosting software and a video player. I think it would be a nice touch to be able to play videos in the background music side of the app.It would save a lot of work during shows and I reckon it would add a bit more of a professional flair to the software.

Thanks for listening guys.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Hi Paul, native video support definitely HAS NOT fallen on deaf ears. It is however much more difficult than you assume.

For native ability to play video files Karaoki requires a completely new A/V playback engine. That alone is a ginormous job, but it also means most features that are built on top of the A/V engine would either need to be re-written or massively tweaked to support the new A/V engine (think of the playback engine as the foundation, with all other features as “brick layers” on top).

With that said we can play videos now in the Karaoke deck, but only if you have the proper video codecs installed. Codecs are very finicky things as well, so finding the right combination of codecs, graphics card/drivers and file format can be a real pain for some users. Others install one codec pack and they’re done, everything works…

What we don’t want to do is create a feature where you can play videos with the background music player, but only if you have the proper codec installed (since in some cases, albeit not all that often, users can get any of the codec packs to work). Thus we are working (between other coding efforts) on our own video engine for Karaoki. Once Karaoki has native support for video files adding the ability to play videos using the BGM would be relatively easy.

Do not expect this very soon however. We’re still working on the current engine and a new update that we hope to post soon. But as I noted, this is definitely something we think about and discuss often – you’re one of many requesting this as well.

Thanks

Meep70
    Participant

This is a long shot but an interesting idea that I have had for a long time. What about adding support for a third monitor?

Monitor one is obviously the one the KJ interacts with.

Monitor two is the one the singer sees on the stage and can be mirrored for the audience to see the lyrics, as well.

Monitor three has the upcoming singers always visible (like what is between songs on the singer screen, now), so the audience can see who is coming up next, and the scrolling message could be used for drink specials, announcements and such.

bertiepr
    Blocked

AWESOME !!! 100% agree with the third monitor idea.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

I think the issue with this would be a technical challenge – IE, how to connect the third monitor, for example. KJs typically run to an HDMI slitter to get more than one screen with lyrics (so you could point one at the audience). Doing that wouldn’t allow for a totally separate output for a third screen (but it would be a mirror of screen 2).

Still, it’s a great idea and something we’ve thought about (and may be technically possible and I simply don’t know enought about this!) KaraoQ (once it’s friggen available!) will support a “rotation screen” where everyone can see their place in rotation. But you’d have to use Karaoki in conjunction with it and I’m not 100% sure how it is going to specifically work.

Lew916
    Participant

Question I’ve asked before what’s wrong with putting a rolling message at bottom of the lyrics screen like other software does? For the upcoming singers with the current song they are singing. That’s one of two things you don’t have, the other is type as you search.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Lew916, there’s nothing wrong with that at all, and we’ve been planning to add the ‘singer scroll’ for some time – much of the work is already done. We’ve had our hands full with the KaraoQ integration for much of the last year (and our SaaS version that will launch soon!) so there’s a bunch of projects that are somewhat/halfway completed we hope to get to soon.

Kevspilly
    Participant

It would be nice to to have an auto volume / gain so that all tracks play at the same volume.

jpmichel
    jpmichel
    Participant

That would not be “nice”, that would be ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!

As it is no with the ridiculous variations in karaoke tracks volumes, having to readjust volumes every track is super annoying!

Jezza
    Participant

It’s great you’ve brought this up. Recently I loaded a new track and didn’t realise the volume had gone up for the song from where I was performing until I saw listeners blocking their ears. I hope this can be fixed. All songs should be normalised volume wise if possible.

dftweedie
    Participant

I would like to be able to right click/ context menu in any list (search, singer or case) and load the song. I find that frequently when I drag from the search list the title in the player will not actually reflect the song, i.e., mismatch.

Being able to load the selected song in the list from the context menu would be a great help.

bertiepr
    Blocked

Please allow to START and STOP the Auto Karaoke from the main screen or add a shortcut to do that. Thanks!

bertiepr
    Blocked

Please, allow to START and STOP the Auto Karaoke from the main screen or add a shortcut to do that. Thanks!

I have two requests, one isn’t exactly a software feature, but I still think it could benefit the greener people like myself.

First and formost, I would like a more detailed updated user manual that explains every feature in detailed, step by step instructions WITH real life examples.

2. This may already be a feature that I haven’t been able to figure out, but it would be nice to customize all the text sizes, so that Karaoki would be easier to use with a touch screen/laptop.

I call this ‘fat finger syndrome” *ie it’s darn near impossible to selct anything cause my fingers are too wide and i’m always loosing the stylus I used to use*

“I think the issue with this would be a technical challenge – IE, how to connect the third monitor, for example. KJs typically run to an HDMI slitter to get more than one screen with lyrics (so you could point one at the audience). Doing that wouldn’t allow for a totally separate output for a third screen (but it would be a mirror of screen 2).
    Still, it’s a great idea and something we’ve thought about (and may be technically possible and I simply don’t know enought about this!) KaraoQ (once it’s friggen available!) will support a “rotation screen” where everyone can see their place in rotation. But you’d have to use Karaoki in conjunction with it and I’m not 100% sure how it is going to specifically work. ”

What about as a temporary compromise a split screen sort of deal? The first 3/4 of the screen could be the lyrics, and the rest of the space could be used for this info, with the option to turn it off if the host prefers to have lyrics only. That way you’d still only need two displays, which could be mirrored via splitter or however they wanted to do it.

For the person that asked for normalization of all karaoke files so that they all play at the same level. This would indeed be an awesome feature that I would use.

In the meantime, you can use an audio tool called Breakaway that does EXACTLY this. Awesome little program, easily affordable and since the anniversary update of Windows 10 has worked flawlessly for me.

-James

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Thanks James! Good stuff. You can increase text size for the browser under options -> text size.

Ok there probably isn’t anything the PCDJ team can do about it since karaoke version doesn’t have any kind of store API to sell downloads directly thru a program, But a link taking you to the site might be nice.

I was going to say remote control of the basic functions of karaoke thru OSC like my digital mixer is but now that I think about it, I think this is possible with a DJ/midi controller

-James

Almost forgot. I know you have plans to put more karaoke related features into DEX 3, which is good but for those that would prefer to use both, since you are going away from the ‘plug-in’ model of doing things, it might be nice to have a button in karaoki that would switch the second screen output from karaoke to the video output of Dex and vice-versa

Ok something else I forgot about. Regarding a third display screen. Something you could do is set up a mini http server so that this info could be displayed in any browser, and do a real time countdown of the current song, average wait time of each singer. You could also have it set up so that It displays photos of your singers, so there is absolutely no confusion about who is singing next. Then the browser would autoupdate/refresh every x number of seconds

You simply set up a separate computer to run the browser, drag it to the second display and then make it go full screen. This can then be mirred/split to as many displays as you need
    This is all part of the software I am currently using, but replacing with Karaoki soon. Here is a link to a photo of how it looks.

let me know if the link doesn’t work
    Rotation Picture

dftweedie
    Participant

Link selected (highlighted) singer in rotation list with same singer selected in singer window list.

It would be nice to be able to highlight a singer in the rotation list and then when you click to open the singer window they are already selected (with their song data showing).

There is possibly some reason why this might interfere with some other function … but I can’t see it.

Also, in the rotation panel, I wish the panel wouldn’t scroll to the right on click on a singer. It would be better if you only dragged it when you wanted to see more. I find it frustrating that frequently it inadvertently scrolls and I can no longer see the singers’ names.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Thanks fella’s!
    James, Karaoki already has the Karaoke Cloud Store built in (and prior to that the Karaoke Locker store) for on-the-fly purchase/download of songs. In EU, users have access to the massive Select-A-Track store (about 120,000 songs for sale) – but that store isn’t legal for US purchasers.

We will have “karaoke.net” built into Karaoki at some point as well. Karaoki was the first karaoke software with an in-app store – which was “karaoke locker” at the time, released about 7 years ago. Due to distribution restrictions and new laws it became impossible for us to maintain the karaoke locker store anymore – opting for the karaoke cloud store and select a track.

You will not have a toggle button in DEX 3 or Karaoki to toggle screen 2. Why? You should NEVER run two pro audio application’s at the same time during an event – too many things could go wrong, including a power struggle over resources. We wouldn’t support that type of functionality with that in mind.

With the KaraoQ integration you will have the option for a third ‘rotation screen’ so everyone can view where they are in rotation, including if someone is bumped or manually re-ordered. We’re not sure if we’ll add something directly to Karaoki like this in the future.

Thanks Ryan. After further reflection, there doesn’t need to be a button even if what you said wasn’t an issue. All i’d have to do it put the third party video display first, put karaoki over it and hit the minimize button.

But what would be nice is actual support for the playing of discs,instead of just having a ‘rotation place holder’ by entering in the artist and title data, and having to use an external cdg player, or a third party piece of software to play discs on the computer. in this neck of the woods, people still bring in their own discs.

i’d say the same for being able to play from a thumb drive, except that brings up the whole virus/contamination/are the files from a legal source issue.

But hey, worse comes to worse, at least having a karaoke player means i’ll have a backup system if everything else dies on me. *lol*

-James

just found out that there isn’t any way to export cases from a certain date, which might be useful to use with the ‘new tracks’ feature of songbookdb. There is a way to do it within pal directly, but as I found out, if you do it that way then those tracks will not work with the PCDJ plugin.

Also I could have sworn this was already a feature, but I can’t find any way to export the singer and song history to a file.

-James

jocarbo
    jocarbo
    Participant

James,

Don’t know about your first part of your post but for the second part, open the Singer Data window, right click on the singer’s name whose list you want to export and the options to print, save to file, etc. are there.

Thanks for that. Actually in regards to sonbookdb, it would still work because it will disregard all the ‘old’ songs as duplicates and just import the new songs. And if I wanted to print update books, I can use different software for that.

Meep70
    Participant

What about making the right-click menu for the Singer Data screen have more of the things that the Singer Rotation panel has?

For example, when looking at the Singer Data screen, it could be handy to Move a singer to the top or bottom, or up or down one. Maybe more.

Likewise, the Singer Rotation right-click menu could include On Break, and Key+/- options.

Thanks for always listening!

dftweedie
    Participant

dftweedie
    Participant

Regarding the context/ right click menu … I think anywhere a song was listed, i.e., ‘search,’ Singer’s Data, Singer’s Rotation, etc., there should be menu items to Edit and to Load the song.

I frequently have difficulty in the search menu dragging a song to the player. Often, the song immediately before in the list will end up playing and sometimes the name of the correct song will display, but the preceding song in the list is the one that plays. Having a context menu ‘Load’ would presumably solve this. As far as Edit goes, it is a pain to only be able to edit from the case list.

Not sure how difficult it would be, maybe too much to bother, but just throw it out there. An ‘estimated wait time’ for the singers based on what’s playing, and the songs qued in the current rotation. On a similar vain, the ability to associate a picture with the saved singer’s history. I figure it could be one way from people trying to ‘scam’ the rotation by using different names.

just a thought

-James

blaircarriere
    Participant

In the Top Right “Singing Queue” Can we have an option to remove “Case” or better yet an option to choose what columns to be shown like: “DiskID” instead of “Case”.
    It makes no sense in my setup as I have 1 Case: “Karaoke”. However I have the “Brand” (Sound Choice, Chartbuster, etc.) under “DiskID”. It would be cool to know which version the Singer has in the queue when they ask.

dftweedie
    Participant

@blaircarriere “In the Top Right “Singing Queue” Can we have an option to remove “Case” or better yet an option to choose what columns to be shown like: “DiskID” instead of “Case”.

Ditto, ditto, ditto!

I just went though this the other night searching for a way to customized that screen and was surprised there didn’t seem to be anyway to do it.

I often feel like there is a ‘thing by thing’ approach to feature requests instead of an overall improve the design. Specifically in this case, why can you select columns in some windows, but not others?

to the people requested the remove case. This feature already exists. All you have to do it right click in the search window and there is a ‘hide/show colums’ option, which will allow you to remove the display of the case. What might be nice is the ability to display the ‘year’as a column.

dftweedie
    Participant

@emptyorchestra … The request was for the singer rotation window, not the search window.

colorbar
    Participant

I need to be able to use the danish letters (æøå ÆØÅ) for our danish songs , when the songlist file for DBsongbook is created the program removes the letters and that makes it a problem to search for

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

colorbar, please contact SongbookDB directly about this request – you can reach them at support@songbookdb.com

Hey Ryan, hope you are well. I know coding, debugging etc takes forever but its been a few months, so i thought i’d ask. Any progress on integrating karaoke.net into the karaoki store? I’m hoping for early 2018, but i won’t hold my breath lol

thanks

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Right now the focus is 100% on releasing a patch to update the last public beta with fixes for the BGM and a couple other items. Some preliminary work has been done for karaoke.net (and really that implementation as a whole shouldn’t be too time consuming as PT has built a functional API for us to work with). I think right around the end of 2017 is a real possibility.

cecsystems
    Participant

I second that! Having the ability to print the individual singers lists and history…

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  cecsystems.

Meep70
    Participant

Here’s an idea that could be pretty handy on a busy night, especially if it is a crowd of singers who are on the stage quickly—sometimes even before the outro from the last karaoke song has finished.

Currently, I can click the fade out button, then the BGM fades in before I can get the next singer’s song loaded. A little awkward, right?

What if, when you hit the “Load Next Singer” button while a karaoke track is playing, Karaoki asked “Are you sure?” Clicking yes would fade in the next karaoke track rather than the BGM, smoothly transitioning to the next singer already on the stage. This would also be handy on songs that have a long intro, so the next song (the one with the long intro) can be started before the singer gets to the stage.

Of course, clicking no would allow the currently playing track to continue unmolested.

For the sake of safety, it would probably be a good idea to make this feature only work a minute or so into a track, to avoid accidentally skipping a singer with an inadvertent mouse button bounce.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  Meep70. Reason: clarification
Viewing 46 posts - 86 through 131 (of 131 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.