Back to Karaoki Support Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

d4269
    Participant

For many years I’ve been using the Gigaport AG external soundcard which is great. A single USB input which splits to 4 stereo outputs to 4 channels on my mixer.

Mine has sadly now deceased! And it appears they’re obviously no longer available.

Can you recommend an equivalent unit please? I use it for 3 channels from Dex and 1 for Karaoki

Many thanks

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Hello,

Is this for DEX 1 and Karaoki? Using the old plug in mode? If so, keep in mind you have to stick with a much older release of Karaoki, since plug in support was dropped from Karaoki about 2 years ago.

Regardless, if you need 3 stereo outputs you could use something like this: http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/260250-Behringer-FCA610

Most of our DJ software customers today either use a DJ controller with the audio interface built in, or if they’re not using a controller they use the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio interface. That only has 2 stereo outputs though, so it wouldn’t work if you’re using the older DEX 1 with the older Karaoki version in plug-in mode.

d4269
    Participant

Dex 2 and Karaoki as stand alone programs (not plugin). I use Dex to play a playlist I set up and Karaoki for karaoke obviously. Plus I use a 3rd deck of Dex for any special tracks I want on the spur of moment to mix into the night. I do like to be 100% in control. Hence I’d still prefer list option not fixed for karaoke rotation lol! Hint hint!

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

DEX 2 — is there any reason you haven’t updated to the latest DEX 3 yet? Karaoke support has gotten much better, and all updates, including DEX 3, are free for you. You can download/install DEX 3 from this page: http://www.pcdj.com/support/dex-3-support/

If you install it with DEX 2 closed it will automatically pick up the activation code from it and open up activated, ready to go. It will NOT overwrite DEX 2 however, so you can have both on the same machine (just can’t have them open at the same time).

I do find it odd you were able to use both Karaoki and DEX 1 at the same time with the Gigaport AG – since you would typically use ASIO drivers, and when using ASIO it will only allow one application to access the driver at one time. May be you were using WASAPI or direct sound?

d4269
    Participant

If I’m honest I didn’t update to Dex 3 because a) Dex 2 does everything I need it to do (and I’m very much an if it ain’t broke why fix it type of guy) and b) I probably never noticed it was free lol!

Was Dex 1 and Karaoki the one where everything was on the same screen? And the Karaoki player was sat underneath the ‘disco’ players? If so, then yes, I still used my Gigaport AG but I couldn’t tell you what the settings were I’m afraid. It’s too long ago

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

lol, gotcha – I usually abide by the “ain’t broke, don’t fit’ mantra – but in the case of DEX 3 it’s just so much better than DEX 2 it’s a must do (at least IMO!).

I believe you must be referring to the old FX VRM with KJ VRM add on (where everything was on the same screen, with the karaoke player below the disco/DJ players). With DEX 1 and Karaoki in plug in mode there were both open at the same time, but different interfaces you had to switch between – but in plug in mode they could share the same sound card (using ASIO, which had audio-routing advantages).

d4269
    Participant

Ah yes, you’re right, FX VRM / Karaoki was def the first one I used. Back in the year 1792 wasn’t it? Lol! My Gigaport has served me well 😇

d4269
    Participant

Ryan someone has just pointed me in the direction of the Gigaport HD+ unit

Will that do the job for me please? It looks like it to my untrained eye but I’d be grateful for your confirmation. The Behringer looks great but probably a little over engineered for my simple needs

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

I didn’t realize they still made those units. My only problem with those cards is that their drivers only go up to Windows 7. They do not and will not have Windows 8 or 10 drivers. At some point, you’ll likely have to upgrade to Windows 10 (or newer) and the Gigaport HD would be a glorified paper weight. I really like the Focusrite Scartlett 2i4 personally, but it’s only 2 stereo outputs – although that would work great for DEX 3.

d4269
    Participant

Thanks Ryan (sorry had to go to a gig), appreciate the advice as always. I’ll look again at the Behringer tomorrow

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.