Back to DEX 3 Support Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Goddess19
    Participant

Ever since I started using DEX3 with Windows 10, I have had nothing but headaches. I have updated to the latest version of DEX3. Program was working fine for about a week. Now, as of tonight, the program opens and then immediately shuts down and the screen comes up saying “PCDJ has stopped working. Windows is searching for a solution to the problem”. Never had any issues with Windows 7 on a OLDER laptop. How can I troubleshoot this? What do I look for?
    Thanks!

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

This sounds like either a sound card issue (can’t properly engage the sound card on startup) or a database issue (for example, maybe you have too much music in the library and not enough RAM to handle the search cache).

When you start DEX 3 it buffers your entire tag cache into RAM – so as an example: If you have over 150,000 songs, you’ll need around 8-10GB of RAM for DEX 3 to handle the search cache. You may need more if you have a lower end graphics card.

First thing to try to make sure it’s not a bad setting (or the sound card):

Open up documents -> PCDJ-DEX3 -> Settings. DELETE the file in that folder labeled “preferences”. Now start DEX 3 again, does it crash? If so I suspect a corrupt (or too large for your system) database.

Please let me know how it goes!

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

One other item to be sure: Update ALL drivers on this machine, including the graphics card. With Windows 10 you really need to stay on top of all updates.

hmt3
    Participant

Had this problem twice at live gigs in the past two weeks. The first night, was able to get the program working by going to C:/Windows/Program Files (x86)/PCDJ/PCDJ3/pcdj.exe. I had several versions loaded (beta tests, etc.), so last night I cleared all of them and reinstalled 3.5.7. Tested it and it worked fine.

Today, at the live gig, the error message kept coming up and closing the program. (Fortunately, I carry my iPad with PCDJ on it, so I was able to continue the gig.) The above fix didn’t work. I wasn’t using my DJ setup to test the program last night, so I worked on eliminating the two possibilities:
    1. My mixer/soundcard (19MXR) was malfunctioning
    2. There was no internet connection.

I was able to use iTunes and an MP3 player to play music through the mixer, so I tried connecting my cell phone to the computer and using it as a hotspot. Bingo. The program opened right up, no issues.

My theory: Pulselocker. It’s searching for the ability to connect to the service, even if I’m not subscribed to it. If it can’t find it, it shuts the program down. We need the ability to turn Pulselocker OFF if we’re not using it or don’t have Internet access.

And while we’re griping about bugs, is there some way to unload samples? It’s still loading the two samples I initially loaded to test that facility during the beta test, then asking me to set BPM.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Harry, that’s interesting – I’m thinking it may have more to do with having a “BAD CONNECTION” than not having a connection. Meaning, it may be locking up due to searching for a connection and finding one, but unable to properly connect. I know we had a similar issue with Karaoke Cloud Pro and Karaoki.

If you’re logged out though, it shouldn’t even try. I’ve just run some tests, without internet, and have no issues loading DEX 3 – whether or not I have it set to login on startup. So something unique is going on here – I also have no other reports of this. We will look into it however! In short, being logged out should mean Pulselocker is OFF.

What happens if you disable wifi completely, and then try to launch DEX 3?

As for the samples, you can delete them manually from: Documents -> PCDJ-DEX3 -> Samples.

hmt3
    Participant

Ryan:

1. Updated video drivers.
    2. Setup – normal (no American DJ 19MXR mixer – just Windows 10 laptop PC, 16GB RAM, in standalone condition)
    3. Unplugged wired connection, turned off wifi, started PCDJ. Crash.
    4. Turned on wifi, started PCDJ. No problems.
    5. Disabled wifi (airplane mode, so no chance of random wifi signal), started PCDJ. Crash.
    6. Turned on wifi, started PCDJ. No problems.

Possibilities:

1. Pulselocker (mentioned above)
    2. Broadcast (the “Icecast 2” settings are loaded)

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Thanks! Are you running Windows 10? Did you recently receive an update?

A recent windows 10 update has crippled a lot of software due to an issue with internet connectivity/security. My bet is the update, if you did indeed apply one, is the root cause of this. I think it’s only affecting some users – but we’ve seen some issues with Karaoki caused by the update, too. I think it’s basically locking things up when it goes to check connectivity on startup (via pulselocker) and basically isn’t getting a response it expects – and it hangs.

Let me know, thanks

hmt3
    Participant

I update every time Windows 10 Home does, so yes.

chric2k
    Participant

I’m having the same issue on Windows 7 Professional. However mine is with a fresh install of Dex 3 and no music library set up yet. Full wired Internet connection and working drivers. 10 seconds or less after opening Dex 3 it crashes with the following debug information:
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BEX
    Application Name: dex3.exe
    Application Version: 3.9.0.5
    Application Timestamp: 59bad587
    Fault Module Name: aticfx32.dll_unloaded
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 585d5e14
    Exception Offset: 73d3fb00
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Data: 00000008
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

This renders my newly purchased software useless. Please assist.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Hi chric2k, this is a very old thread and the original issue was related to a much older version of DEX 3 (not 3.9.0.5)

Have you installed all the latest updates for your OS? Including drivers for your audio/graphics card?

Do you have iTunes installed on this computer, and if so, how large is your iTunes library? We’ve seen an issue from time to time when DEX 3 attempts to import your iTunes library. It seems to be related to having many, many playlists in iTunes and a massive data file (library.xml file).

Please let us know! You should also submit a ticket for support on this here: http://dex3.pcdj.com/support/tickets/new

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Sorry, I should have also asked, what are the specifications of your machine? Do they meet or exceed these?

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS: WINDOWS

– Windows: 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 8.1 / Windows 10
    – 2.5GHz Intel Core i3/i5/i7 / Amd Phenon (Celeron Not Recommended)
    – 4 GIG RAM or Better (If you have more than 120,000 songs we’d recommend at least 8GB)
    – Video Card: Dedicated Graphics Card with at least 512MB (or Intel HD 3000 Series or better)
    – DirectX/ASIO Compatible Multi-Channel Audio Interface (and/or USB audio interface)
    – 200 MB free on the hard-drive

Important Note: The above are recommendations for standard 480p (SD) Video Mixing:
    – For 720p HD videos: At least 4GB of RAM, 8GB recommended, a video card with at least 512MB dedicated video RAM
    – For 1080p/1080i full HD videos: At least 4GB of RAM, 8GB recommended, a video card with at least 1GB dedicated video RAM

chric2k
    Participant

Hi Ryan. Thanks for the response. It’s a very high-end Alienware laptop so the specs are way over what’s required. So I think I figured it out. It seems that if I have the 4-deck skin enabled it crashes. If I don’t, then it seems stable. Also, I installed the older DirectX 9 version side-by-side with the newest version and the older version does run and then if I remove the 4-deck skin on the newer version it also now runs. Seems to be an odd thing though. I do have all drivers updated.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Clearly not the specifications, then! What happens if you switch to the 4 deck skin in session, does it crash again after 10 seconds? We may want to setup a remote session with you and our lead developer so he can re-create the crash and see why it’s occurring (with the 4 deck skin). My interest is certainly peaked!

If you want to set this up with us please email me at rsherr AT pcdj dot com and I’ll setup a time.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.