Back to DEX 3 Support Forum
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

tracker
    Blocked

Ever since i updated to 3.6 it crashes randomly when i search. i do mostly weddings and thats unacceptable when you are charging someone $1500 to do their wedding. i have looked back on this forum and people have been having this problem since 3.6 came out. i just did the up date recently. i sent emails and was told development is working on a new update to fix the problem. they have know about this, from what i can see, from the beginning and still no fix?? we still have gigs to do! i did a 4 hr wedding this weekend and it crashed 4 times. Come on guys lets get this taking care of asap!!!!!

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Are you 100% certain you’re using DEX 3.6.0.1? (make sure it’s not 3.6)

We reviewed the search code and the changes made in the code from 3.5.7 to 3.6.0.1 all week last week due to the previous forum posts regarding the search crash and haven’t been able to locate any issues in the code that would cause a crash and/or memory leak – so we are stumped. It’s not happening across the board and none of us have been able to re-create it so far so we’re not getting anywhere.

Are you on MAC or windows? If on MAC we’d like a crash log – I can explain how to grab it.

How many files total do you have in the library? And how much system RAM?

spinndoctors
    Participant

We have been experiencing the same crash issues consistantly to the point that we are keeping a mp3 player plugged into out external mixer to play while we restart Dex 3 ( yes it is the most current version) . We have been trying to replicate the problem to see what is causing it to no avail. The closest we’ve come is that we know one song causes it sometimes ( Jump by Van Halen onour Ex hard drive) but there is nothing unique about that file. We crash usually 1 -3 times per event.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Spinndoctors – so is it happening while searching? Can you email me the Van Halen track? While it may not appear anything is wrong, it could be a bad header (hidden) or frame that’s hard to distinguish. We’d like to see the file.

I assume you’re not running any other software at the same time? Have you perhaps watched your memory usage and made sure it’s not maxing out?

How many tracks total do you believe you have in the library, and how much RAM (and is your graphics card dedicated or shared)?

Any further date you can provide. I’ve had a handful of users suggest a similar random crash, while others can easily perform hours on end without a hiccup. I used DEX 3 personally this past weekend for about 6 hours using autoplay for some, and manual mixing for a portion too – no issues at all. I was mostly playing from Pulselocker but was mixing videos in, too.

Thanks for any further details you can provide (and please email me that file!).

tracker
    Blocked

im on a MAC version 10.11.5 el captain. and i have around 20k songs in library.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Tracker, we took a couple days this week to test the new search code, and after doing about 1000 searches on a DB of about 180,000 songs (all tests were on MAC) we couldn’t produce a crash, nor was the code leaking memory anywhere. So this one still has us stumped – we simply can’t find any issues with the search code. It may be related to something else however, and only manifesting itself while searching (such as a spike in memory usage).

Is there something on your MAC that can monitor memory usage? 20K tracks isn’t enough to max out the search cache, even if you only have 4GB of RAM (which should manage around 80,000 songs without issue).

spinndoctors
    Participant

Ryan, I have about 64k songs on an external hard drive ( around 600 GB). I have not been watching my memory , and most of the time DEX 3 is the only app running. I will check on the RAM and I dont know how to check the answer about the graphics card.

spinndoctors
    Participant

The RAM is 8.00 with 6.93 usuable

spinndoctors
    Participant

We had a ton of crashes over the weekend. On the laptop I was using it crashed 2x , memory was at 39% each time. It happened once when I dragged a song from a pulselocker search into the right hand deck, the other time Im dont know what caused it.

When a crash occurs I lose any user lists, designations as to whether a song has been played or not etc., that were created in that session.

I also had songs clipping/skipping which I solved by unchecking ‘high quality time stretching’ under options.

My other laptop crashed at least 7 times during a wedding at one point for 15 minutes. I dont know all the details on that one yet because it was one of my other djs at the time. But as you can imagine the client was not happy. Nor was the DJ.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Not good doc!

Did you figure out the processor type and graphics card? For example, if you have to ucheck high-quality time stretching to address skipping/clipping than there is obviously a resource issue occurring – although not sure where.

On even the most basic machines for DEX 3 enabling HQ time stretching shouldn’t ever cause a skip etc (as we buffer the entire track into RAM to make sure it doesn’t). I am a little concerned about system integrity in general due to this. While on the surface things may look OK, but I suspect something is going on. While it may not be the only reason for the random crash, it may be the main culprit.

Here’s what we have for our requirements for DEX 3:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS: WINDOWS

Windows: 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 8.1 / Windows 10
    2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / Core 2 Quad / Core i3/i5/i7 / Amd Phenon (Celeron Not Recommended)
    4 GIG RAM or Better (if you have over 80,000 songs you will want at least 6GB of RAM, over 125,000 or so 8GB of RAM. More the merrier if you’re video mixing)
    Video Card: Dedicated Graphics Card with at least 512MB (or Intel HD 3000 Series or better)
    DirectX/ASIO Compatible Multi-Channel Audio Interface
    200 MB free on the hard-drive

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS: MAC

Mac: OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion) or greater
    2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / Core i3/i5/i7
    4 GIG RAM or Better (if you have over 80,000 songs you will want at least 6GB of RAM, over 125,000 or so 8GB of RAM. More the merrier if you’re video mixing)
    Video Card: Dedicated Graphics Card with at least 512MB (or Intel HD 3000 Series or better)
    Multichannel Core Audio soundcard

Note: The above are recommendations for standard 480p Video file Mixing.
    – for 720p HD videos (1280×720) — at least 4GB of RAM, 8GB recommended, a video card with at least 512MB video RAM
    – for 1080p/1080i full HD videos (1920×1080) — at least 4GB of RAM, 8GB recommended, a video card with at least 1gb video RAM

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Spindoctor – one more question, are you using Pulselocker at all? Logged in to the service in DEX 3 during your gig? We did update to the latest Pulselocker SDK in 3.6.0.1 and want to rule it out as being the possible culprit.

Thanks

hmt3
    Participant

I had some issues with DEX3 crashing on load. I eventually wound up uninstalling, then reinstalling. You might try that.

mcgreen0
    Participant

i have same still every disco crashing big let down stops searching have a cd on ready

cooldude777
    Participant

Yeah I am having issues with mine crashing I’ve uninstalled and installed it again and have it still crashing saying it stopped working and want to close the program I have a show coming up in August I want to make sure I am able to use my laptop for the show. Love the software, ::-)

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Have you guys now tried the DEX 3.6.1 public beta (maintenance release)? It was posted on Monday.

The entire purpose was a refactoring of some core level components to address some potential resource threading issues. I think it only reared it’s head with specific machine configurations – therefore not across the board for all users.

I suggest anyone that’s ever had any crashes with DEX 3.6.0.1 to try it now – and report any issues. You can find it here with notes:

Also, please make sure all systems meet our requirements – these are important and are bare minimums. Also, if you have more then 60,000 songs in your library I suggest more then 4GB RAM – I really suggest 8GB for most users:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS: WINDOWS

Windows: 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 8.1 / Windows 10
    2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / Core 2 Quad / Core i3/i5/i7 / Amd Phenon (Celeron Not Recommended)
    4 GIG RAM or Better
    DirectX/ASIO Compatible Multi-Channel Audio Interface

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS: MAC

Mac: OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion) or greater
    2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / Core i3/i5/i7
    4 GIG RAM or Better
    Multichannel Core Audio soundcard

Note: The above are recommendations for standard 480p Video file Mixing.
    – for 720p HD videos (1280×720) — at least 4GB of RAM, 8GB recommended, a video card with at least 512MB video RAM
    – for 1080p/1080i full HD videos (1920×1080) — at least 4GB of RAM, 8GB recommended, a video card with at least 1gb video RAM

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

DEX 3.6.1.1 is now available with multiple fixes, including a search crash issue that wasn’t related to the size of your library or the like, but rather certain album art that when loaded (on screen) would cause a crash. We’ve fixed this with the help of a user.

Please get the full version update here:

This is the official public release and we suggest everyone now use it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.