Back to DEX 3 Support Forum
Viewing 85 posts - 1 through 85 (of 109 total)
  • Author

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

OK DJs, here’s your chance to provide your list of features you would like to see added to DEX 3!

We will check these forums often for your feedback and suggestions.

Bombs Away!

Rob Bichel
    Participant

Definitely a video effects “censor” feature. When playing at school dances it is a must.

David1987
    Participant

I must say from the original Dex, Dex 3 is by far the greatest! One thing I would love to see is a music video pool incorporated as I love to show music videos, also I’ve been testing out pulse locker but before I would subscribe to them they need to get clean cut/edited/radio version songs as well for schools & such. Example Meghan Trainor – all about that bass, I could not find an edited version. The other suggestion I would say is make sure that if they do add edited tracks that it says in the title bar (clean) or (explict) or (radio edit) etc..

jtnmartinho
    Participant

The ability to make loops as in the 1st version (loop start from), and to open folders including subfolders. I’m still on version 1 because of those two features. : )

xtremescion
    Participant

I would like to see DEX 3 be able to play all of the Karaoke files that Karaoki plays. I like DEX 3 and I like Karaoki, but they don’t play well together when they are both opened. So, to be able to just use DEX3 for all of my DJ and Karaoke needs would be Awesome!

David1987
    Participant

One more thing, I also use Karaoke in Dex 3, I have used Karafun in the past, but I would rather purchase my karaoke tracks to embed a link or multiple links to subscribe or to purchase karaoke songs so I could own them would be awesome as well, kind of like how you embedded pulselocker. I already am a member to songbookdb, our clientele love using the app to submit their songs which I have linked to my tablet, & they also love the fact that they don’t have to wait on a song book to become available as everybody can essentially have one on their phone. It would be nice to incorporate all the songs a subscription site has into the songbookdb as well. Example if I have a subscription to karaoke cloud it would be nice to go to songbookdb & click a button that would link my subscribed site of karaoke music to songbook so I do not have to manually add songs from my subscribed sire to songbook.

billy charisma
    Participant

i have mentioned this so many times Ryan, i used the old old PCDJ and could run text across the screen with various effects, colours, sizes etc and for a private party DJ it is sorely missed with the new DEX3 version, i could also create a photo montage that played in the video, and i could create video clips that played like jingles, so theres 3 things to think about matey,

Gebow
    Participant

Be able to move playlist up and down, Change order to my liking.

xtremescion
    Participant

Maybe the ability to just “clear” a deck. Like a button that just clears the track that is loaded in the deck. And maybe a stop button to just stop the track from playing in a deck.

alfman2000
    Participant

I am not a “club” DJ, just bars, pubs, weddings, Bull roasts, fundraisers, etc,- so i take requests and play songs. There were some features in the original DEX that are not available in DEX3, but i have been surviving. That being said, the following requests may not be essential, but sure would be handy for how i use the program.

1. Would like to see “one click” in the search box to input a search.(like what happens in a URL box). As of now, you need to click the “X”, then click the box, then type the search…or click and highlight the text in the box, then type your search. One-click in the box and type would be quicker.

2. Would like to drag a selection from the search results (column 2) to the Sidelist/Automix (column 3) and place it anywhere in the list – not automatically to the bottom of the list. i use this list to put requests, as well as songs i am waiting to play…then i re-arrange as needed so that i know what i am tentatively going to play during the gig. If i get a request and want to place it near the top of the list, i need to drag (or double-click) it to the sidelist, then double-click from the bottom to the top, then drag to where i want the song (or drag directly from the bottom to where i want the song). if my sidelist already contains a lot of songs, it is just cumbersome to do all of those moves instead of dragging directly to where i want it in the cue list. Less moves always helps.

3. Would like to re-order User Lists. I would like to create lists, then group together – especially if creating a list with a date or event type as its name.

4. Would like to create a user list inside of a user list. For example: I could create a list called “Wedding”, then have sub-lists “Cocktail”, “Dinner”, “Dance”, etc.

5. Change when a song is considered as “already played”. If i load a song, then decide to change to a different song before it is played, the song becomes “grayed out” to notify me that i already played the song – which I have not. I assume it does this because i loaded it in the player. Can the program wait until i play at least 30 seconds of a song before it considers it “played”?….or create a “right-click” option to make a song “new” again (like with an email in outlook) – that way it is no longer grayed out…some long nights i cant remember if i played a song or not and may skip one i haven’t played because it is grayed out.

6.Lastly, is there anyway to store the history breakdown differently? Maybe by “session”? Maybe create a history file for each time the DEX3 program is opened. For example: log_032416_session1 , log_032416_session2, etc. That can make it easier to find gig dates quicker and it won’t split the file at midnight.

Some of the suggestions above may be available, and i just may not know how to access them, so my apologies in advance…..A lot, if not all, of the above suggestions i think were available in one form or another in the original DEX. I am aware that the program for DEX3 was created from scratch without using the DEX1 program, but i really liked those features.

Hope some of these wishes can be granted, but if not, i still love the program and am proud PCDJ DJ!!

fingers crossed…..

P.S. one more thing…can there be an option to change the font size in each deck? Hard to see the “time elapsed” and “time left” – eyes are as good as they used to be. i know how to increase the font of the lists, but would like to increase the “time” individually…thanks!

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Thanks guy, great lists so far!

A few of these things are already included (in one way, or another), and some items are already in the works (such as text to screen, slideshow and visualizations, reordering lists, supporting more zip formats for karaoke, a way to easily see or search history dates in the history list…etc).

1) You can clear the search box by clicking ESC on your keyboard.
    2) You can change text size in the decks via “skins” – some skins offers larger time clocks in the decks
    3) While the history shows time and date now, we want to make it so while you’re in the history list you can “search” by date and/or date range.
    4) Love the idea of an in-app video subscription, but just no suitable solutions available for us to embed yet!

This is fantastic guys, really appreciate the detailed responses!

Please keep them coming!

hitsalive
    Participant

Hi Ryan, How about adding the feature to use two sound cards as in Dex1. Player 1 Sound Card 1. Player 2 sound card 2. Still using Dex 1 Shame you didn’t improve on this software. Yes I do use the new version now & then. While it is commendable that you are trying to implement a complete new package I prefer to use a separate program for DJ & Karaoke. Using Hoster for Karaoke as it is the best software out there for karaoke. I use PCDJ for DJ. I have used every version that you have released.& still come back to Dex1 as there is less clutter. Also miss the logs, I know you have the History ability but prefer having logs that I can look back on. I would of went the other with DEX 3 combining the use for DJ mixing & music videos & a separate software for Karaoke. Cheers luv PCDJ!

jadesdj@aol.com
    Participant

Having had (and still have) the original DEX program, I would like for DEX3 to show logs for gigs I have done. This gives me a reference point and I can pull up music mixes that worked well at other parties .DEX3 only lumps all the songs I have played and I have to scroll through all that to get what I’m after. I also have an issue with some MP2s that will not play in DEX2. I have had a few messages sent back to tech, but as yet no resolution.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Thanks hitsalive,

We only have support for 2 sound cards when using the internal mixer mode – so one card for headphones, one for main. The reason we don’t (And will not) have support for 2 sound cards when using an external mixer is that often times one sound card will drive the sound slightly better than another – resulting in sync issues. This will break certain functionality – such as the beat grid, beat aware effects, sync etc. With having MANY pro audio interface and DJ controller options with multichannel pro audio interfaces built in (using professional audio drivers, so lower latency control, too) users have plenty of choices (so they don’t have to use two separate sound cards).

The history is a running log – but songs are now date and time stamped. So you can select a “date range” easily enough – and even create a permanent playlist from a date, like this: https://youtu.be/3vyiQB1Z_hE

As noted previously, we are going to make it so that when you’re in the history log section and you use search – you can search for a date. For example: Searching for January 1st 2014 – just type in 1-1-15 in search and it will bring it up (may not work exactly like this, but that’s what we’re considering at this time).

I think you should also try PCDJ Karaoki – I’m biased of course, but I feel it’s a superior karaoke hosting application – and we sell to a lot of Hoster customers. So we have a stand-alone karaoke show hosting solution (Karaoki) already, a direct competitor to MTU and the others. DEX 3 is designed as a DJ and video mixing application first and foremost, but Karaoke support will continue to grow -there are many DJs/KJs that are looking for a true all-in-one solution to get the job done – as they want to transition seamlessly between DJ/karaoke.

Jadesdj – are these VOB files (which can be renamed mp2)? We do not support those, and do not plan to. Due to how we buffer the entire track into RAM, among some other reasons, VOB/MP2 isn’t supported. I would go with MP4 H.264 encoded files as an alternative (Which has become the industry standard).

Thanks Guys!

alfman2000
    Participant

Ryan..Thanks!! for the quick response. I was unaware of using the escape key to clear the search. That indeed could make it a little quicker, but still a 2 step process (hit escape, click in box – almost the same as click “X”, click in box)…i know, getting a little nit-picky, but quicker is quicker. Now if you could just get the cursor to automatically flash in the search box upon hitting ESC, then i could just hit ESC and start typing….. THAT would be ideal !!! Thanks again!!

matty507
    Participant

Yea the text has been overlooked by Dex 3 and is a must. Im rather certain that was promised for over4-5 years

Ronzo
    Participant

While using the Auto-mix feature, if your in the process of mixing a track and you want to turn of the Auto-mix function, you no longer have the control to stop the mixing process. Return the Auto-mix function back to the way it was on PCDJ VJ.

Tom Kelly
    Participant

Hi Ryan,
    I have been on the search for a dual deck dj program that has all the capabilities of a karaoke program. Dex 3 is the closest thing but lacks singer rotation, singer history, ect. I would pay big bucks to have one program do the job of two. Any chance you will combine your Karaoki program with DEX3?

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

matty507 – Text-to-screen is about 85% completed, but DEX 2/3 have only been out about 4 years now (and DEX 3 was built from scratch about 1 1/2 years ago). Text to screen and slideshow features will come soon.

Tom – We do plan to incorporate more karaoke-specific features in DEX 3, including a true rotation list (instead of just the basic singers list we have now) and potentially singer history. We just have some bigger fish to fry first, and expect a new public beta of 3.6 in the next week or so – which is more of a maintenance release with bug fixes for new features found in the new beta (And a new Pulselocker SDK).

Ronzo – not really clear on this one. Do you mean while a mix is being performed in DEX 3? The fader is already moving to the opposite deck? So you want to be able to click automix (turn it off) while it’s in the middle of mixing, and be able to stop the fader movement? Just want to make sure I’m clear! Thanks

djcoke
    Participant

Hi
    I would like the option of moving the playlist to the top of the screen at the moment you have to scroll down for every new playlist.
    Can you increase the size of the clock small problem but when you have to call last order and must end the night on time every time
    How do we get a total time limit for a playlist
    I would like Dex3 to solve the previous problem of clicks and pops left at the end of MP3 tracks.
    Yes I know you have a work round for this but doesn’t solve all the problems.
    Would like to change the size of the auto mix window as in dex2.
    I would like to send a complete playlist for a complete disco not end at 12 o’clock most discos I do start at 7 and finish at 1am.
    Do you have an auto save button so I can save what’s been played. Dex3 still has the occasional crash.
    You tell us to use pulse locker but tell us to disable virus software. a few venues I use still don’t have fast stable broadband. it doesn’t work in a marquee tent sorry not an option I will use.
    Will we see screen maps that look like controllers that we use
    If I load a song into the deck it comes up has played but I change my mind the song has still been played can you not have a 20 second delay
    Writing comments to MP3 only goes to the database and not to the song if I copy the song to another computer the comment is not transferred
    Dex3 has changed a lot and does a lot more of which I will never use. I loved a lot features in previous pcdj products which I thought by now would have been incorporated in to the program.
    Pcdj has a lot of loyal followers but you are not improving on what made the product unique in the first place unless you take steps to solve the basic problem you will see company loyalty disappear.
    I think by the time we see dex4 or rebranded you will again have lost more customers sorry to be so blunt

Ronzo
    Participant

Correct Ryan. I just want to be able to click auto mix (turn it off) while it’s in the middle of mixing, and be able to stop the fader movement.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

DJCoke, the new loading engine (in the 3.6 beta) seems to have addressed the pops/clicks on non VRM played songs that had the issue (tracked it down to certain encoders). There are some issues with 3.6, but we expect a new beta this week to address those other concerns – we’d appreciate if you let us know if the update does address the pops/clicks on songs that the mp3trimpro didn’t fix (keep in mind this is truly an indexing issue with VRM played songs – so if mp3trimpro does do the trick that’s good – since it’s fixing the issue at it’s core, and not just “ignoring” the bad frames).

We will be making it so history logs tracks after 20 seconds or so of continual playback.

With a $19.99 a month Pulselocker subscription you can download as many tracks as you wish for offline use – so you do not need internet at your gig at all (you can store as many tracks as you wish locally for offline use – for 30 days at a time between billing cycles).

If users want to create skins that look like controllers that’s entirely up to them. We have the “skin designer” that makes mapping your own custom skin design easier (much more so than in previous PCDJ software iterations). We create the default skins, users create any of the others – just like in years past. Search our site for “skin designer” to find the download.

Re-ordering playlists and much of what you’ve also pointed out are in the to-do as well.

Keep in mind here that when you build DJ software today, you have to take into account new DJs. The younger generation of DJs NEED a lot of these newer features you may not use. Yes, you want to stay loyal to your old-school users to a point, but unless you’re innovating for the younger generation of up and coming DJs you’re not going to survive in this competitive space today.

Pretty much everything else you’ve suggested is something we’re either already working on, or plan to soon. It all starts with the 3.6 update – which I hope to post this week for you all to download/try.

Thanks again guys, please keep it up. Development is watching 🙂

Mark
    Participant

I know a few things have already been mentioned… but I’d like to reiterate them… the less steps the better.

1) The search function in DEX3 is off… DEX2 was much better. Like being able to back drag & highlight the old search still remaining in the bar and begin typing the new search without having to click the “X” (Clear) button. (Certainly a habit considering using all the DJ subscription services.)

2) I would like to be able to rearrange the far left side playlist column with the simple “Up & Down” arrows, like the other columns. Just the “User created” playlists. Or… as what was already mentioned… the “Click & Drag” would be best for all the columns. <<< But most importantly rearranging the “User list” column somehow.

3) When doing Weddings and New Years events… timing is the utmost importance. It’d be nice to see the total time of each playlist at the bottom of the column.

4) I’d like to see just a few more color buttons.

5) It’d be cool if we could click on a specific color, such as “Red” (“Blue”/what have you) and pull up only those specific colored tracks in the playlist.

6) In the “Sampler” we have eight “trigger” buttons… It’d be nice to have more (16-20) trigger buttons and 50-100 pages of samplers. Where all sorts of Sound Effects could be loaded… separating & labeling each page as Halloween Effects to DJ Drops and DJ sound Effects like sirens. <<< It does say “Sampler 1”. <<< Can we have “Sampler 2 through Sampler 100”? Where each sampler page can be titled?

7) It’d be nice to make the right hand column “sidelist” smaller and have the ability to spread the artist/title open more. Otherwise I’m having to load a song to read what version the track is… and then it’s shaded out as if it’s been played.

8) I don’t know if this would help… but in the “History” it is rather difficult to look back at… maybe a “Date/Time stamp” would help?

Cheers!

jbltmp
    Participant

Thanks for the opportunity to offer feedback and make requests for enhancements to PCDJ software. I’ve been a long time user of PCDJ up through DEX 2.0, and have just recently started using DEX 3.0. Overall I really like the enhancements, particularly the way the 4-deck skin is designed with the grid for effects and loops. I just have two requests which I’ve mentioned casually in prior conversations with Ryan or support, but I thought I’d take this opportunity to formally document them.

– One is to please incorporate support for the microphone when using DEX 3.0 with the American Audio DP2 controller. I’m still having to use DEX 2.0 for gigs that require a mic, and I really don’t want to have to go to a separate mic mixer in order to use DEX 3.0.

– Two has to do with setting cue points with a mouse in DEX 3.0 vs. 2.0 . I find that the waveform responds much slower in 3.0 than in 2.0, which makes it more cumbersome for me to set cue points. I’d really like to see the waveform in 3.0 respond with the same sensitivity that it does in 2.0.

One last thought. Could you consider “out of the box” support for Rane mixers? I’ve recently purchased a Rane MP2015 rotary mixer, which is awesome, but I just wish it worked with DEX.

Thanks again for asking!
    – Jeff

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Thanks!

I think there is a universal issue with the MIC in DEX 3 right now – which would present itself with the American Audio DP2. This is one of the fixes expected for 3.6.

I’ll have to install an old copy of DEX 2 to see what you mean with the mouse movements on the beat grid/waveform – I don’t remember that, but I believe you 🙂

We will support ANY controller we can get our hands on – its up to the manufacturer to supply the device on loan however. We need the controller here in order to support it correctly. I’ll reach out to our RANE contact!

Mark
    Participant

Something else just occurred to me… the little scroll buttons are hard to find quickly, being grayed out… maybe a “Red” would be more fitting? Something more visible…

Thanks… Cheers!

Mark
    Participant

Tossed and turn in bed last night thinking about this… I had earlier suggested… “5) It’d be cool if we could click on a specific color, such as “Red” (“Blue”/what have you) and pull up only those specific colored tracks in the playlist.”

My thinking… just like we’re able to click on say the artist tab/column and it alphabetically organizes the list… or… the same with the title of the track… or genre… or BPM, etc.

Wouldn’t it be just as easy to do that with the colors? Click on “red/green/blue/pink” or some color tab/column and have all the colors organized by their specific colors?

Just saying… hope it a good suggestion… Cheers!

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Love that idea Mark, in fact we’ve discussed it internally. Sort or filter by color!

rkwild
    Participant

It would be nice to have some sort of indication that the analyzer function is working when put to task. Traktor, which I’ve pretty much abandoned, shows a progress bar with tune name, estimated time on batch analyzing, etc. However I would be happy with any indication, moving icon or something that shows the analyzer is working behind the scenes.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Agreed rkwild – this is something we had in DEX 2, but since DEX 3 was a complete rewrite some of the features have been slowly making their way back into the new platform. It shall be added at some point!

hmt3
    Participant

As someone who’s created a number of skins for DEX 2 and 3, what I’d like to see is a way to “collapse” sections, like an accordion box in HTML or what you see when you’re changing screens in a tablet. Right now, even with the swap out sections, buttons tend to be rather small. If you’re trying to create a touchscreen skin, you still have to make small buttons. With an accordion setup, each section can fill almost the entire screen, with a widget on the side showing what’s playing and other vital information. This would allow the DJ to see a bigger recordcase. It could also help with some of the suggestions made above, as regards History and Karaoke lists, scroll bars, drag and drop, etc.

I realize this might be something that has to wait for DEX 4, but it’s a thought. It could possibly be done by putting DEX inside a web browser, or using some form of HTML, like a one-page website does. It could also reduce/eliminate the need to create different aspect ratios for skins, and make DEX more portable as newer tablet hybrids become mainstream (like the Microsoft Surface). It also might make it easier to port to regular tablets, such as the iPad or Android-based models.

Dj Antoon
    Participant

Smart playlist like in DEX1.
    So when a tagentry has a certain name in it you can build a playlist / userlist.

Very handy when you have tagged your songs with date and month info or other info like “dance classics”

daveydlb
    Participant

hi Ryan its a while since i have made any comments but i will repeat some comments or requests made earlier
    1) i find it frustrating that i can not simply drag and drop a song from any location and drop it to any location without it going to the bottom of the list and then having to fiddle around trying to get it to the position i require
    2)when in automix and incorporating karaoke songs in between normal songs if i want to load a karaoke song urgently as i do not have a deck vacant in 2 deck mode i lose the song that was on that deck and if you do not pay close attention you can find that you will repeat a song you have already played( frustrating) plus when you have a list of songs which you have compiled to last the duration of the session,you find your list depleting rather fast and at by the end of the gig you have to go looking for the ones you missed,i might say at this point that another dj program i use always has one of the two decks vacant until the song on the opposing desk is a few seconds from completion so if you want to mix two tracks together as in the true sense of “mixing” you should manualy load the second deck.
    Thank you again for all the effort you and your team have applied to this program so far, it will be awesome when all the bugs are resolved and all the features in the pipeline are incorporated Daveydlb

daveydlb
    Participant

Sorry Ryan ,i missed one important point is there any chance you can include in the queue playlist an E.T.A. time for each track in the queue so you can verify that your playlist has enough music or video karaoke E.C.T to last until the venue or gig ends, also you can (if asked) verify what time a request will be aired
    Thanx again

sten@itmagasinet.dk
    Participant

DEX 3 makes it easy to mix everything, i think a have missed something, where do i mix my light ?
    Why not build in a DMX light controller like Cuelux ?

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Thanks Sten, although I wouldn’t technically call DMX ‘mixing’ – but something we will eventually look into!

mac077
    Participant

I would like to see a song book creator built into DEX 3 similar to what is in Karaoke. Unless there is something I am not aware of already!

Dave4pk
    Participant

David 1987 mentioned Songbookdb. I also use this and my customers absolutely love this. I was informed that Dex3 intends to use KaraoQ in the future which I have looked at, but the price has put me off this straight away, so I for one, will not be getting rid of songbookdb for a product that looks no better in my opinion, yet costs a lot more money. I see nothing wrong in Songbookdb and would dearly love to see this added to Dex 3 to really take Dex3 to a complete different level. Please reconsider using Songbookdb.

tededwardsjunior
    Participant

aaaaaaand we’re back. 🙂

I’ve been around since this thing was green…..somewhere around 1995 or something…..and the ONLY THING that would make me ecstatic…and regardless of the size of the fish in the fryer, ya’ll could do it. Make a deck in DEX 3 Karaoke specific…give it a hard rotation list……and be done.

The Karaoke guy at the Elks Lodge may not care about being able to actively mix music, and that’s ok. That show has a place in the world….but some of us like to keep it moving…and actively mixing the music along with keeping our primadonna’s….*ahem….SINGERS happy would make that very possible.

Ya’ll are GENIUSES……someone could write that plugin in a day……

Missed me didn’t you 🙂

TJ

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Dave4pk, while SongbookDB is a possibility, I think judgement should be held until KaraoQ really hits the streets.

KaraoQ pricing isn’t set, either. There will be a free version for example (runs ads), and much is still being determined and worked on. KaraoQ uses a very modern interface that’s more in-tune with our development goals for DEX 3 – and does much of the heavy lifting for you (IE it syncs your library and cleans up meta data to display to singers – no need to upload your song list manually).

If we build out the remote connections support in DEX 3 it may make it easy to support both platforms.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

…and Ted, welcome back! 😉

tededwardsjunior
    Participant

Good to be back….I’ll never cheat on you again……. 🙂

TJ

bhitzer
    Participant

Would love to be able to make use of live video feeds from for example a webcam and use this instead of a video file.

billy charisma
    Participant

The old PCDJ was able to do this, i used it to show live footage of the dancefloor etc on the screens, i could also put text across the screen at the same time, something i have asked for several times until i have given up asking, it would be nice to do picture in picture with a live feed and current song video

Dave4pk
    Participant

I like the sound of that picture in picture idea. 👍👍

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Hi guys, slideshow/text-to-screen is one of the next things we plan to release – and already 85% or so completed (but have had to jump off that project from time to time for other items).

The live cam feed is another on our to-do – which is a fairly massive to-do at this point! We’re also finally updating our iOS app and launching an Android version. It will be a full-featured app and have a feature set that mirrors DEX 3 minus video mixing and key detection/key mixing. Although those items will be possible in time.

The picture in picture sounds neat too, I will suggest it!

mercury
    Participant

#1 Priority- To allow autoplay starting from from any track selected on the sidelist.
    #2- When a track is moved to the play from the list it should be removed so it’s not accidentally played again.
    When selecting a cue point have the ability to delete that point in the future (this may exists just haven’t been able to figure it out)

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Thanks Mercury!

1) I like that idea, although you can double-click any track to send it to the top – or batch select songs and click the delete key on your keyboard to instantly remove them (IE: remove all tracks above the track you wish to start the automix from).

2) Yes, as you know, automix will remove tracks automatically from the side list – we will add a setting for “remove track when manually loaded”

3) Right click on any cue point in the deck section with your mouse and they will be instantly deleted. Some controllers have a function to clear cue point to (like shift + cue position button).

mrmagoo
    Participant

Would like the ability to clear a deck of the song that is in there and leave it empty. load and unload. Would like the ability to change the history order so the most recent one you loaded is at the top. I also would like to be able to right click on a song in the side list and if I have not played the track in the deck that I am going to load it into be able to copy the unplayed track to the sidelist. This is like red 5.2. Couple of minor things I am seeing. Thanks.

mrmagoo
    Participant

Still want the ability to choose a folder and just be able to play out of it. Not have to keep the sidelist full all the time.

karaokebill
    Participant

The list of upcoming singers does not include songs that have been loaded to either deck. This causes confusion among singers, who often come up thinking that they are next only to be told that there is still someone ahead of them. Would it be possible to provide an option to begin the list of singers with the first song that has not yet been played, rather than the first song that remains in the side list? Thank you.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

mrmagoo – We will likely add the clear deck thing, although still not sure how useful this really is other than maybe freeing up RAM.

We may add the ability to play from other lists, but most likely more for background music when hosting karaoke so it doesn’t affect the side list. I guess in effect you could use that for regular DJing, too.

mrmagoo
    Participant

Yes that is something that I use quite a bit. What about the copy back to sidelist? Like red 5.2?

Greg Ellis
    Participant

Ryan,
    Long time no talk my friend… in fact I think it was February of last year when I finally upgraded from VRM.

I know people have made the suggestion before, but I am throwing it out there again… How about a SongBookDB plugin for DEX3 so we can use it for our Karaoke “Artists”.

While receiving notifications on our phones / tablets is functional, it is not ideal. I can’t speak for the others, but I don’t always see my device notifications. When busy at a bar or party where Karaoke is a “Side Offering” to a gig, more often than not my focus is on the music, reading the crowd so I can adjust the music flow accordingly, and charming it up to make sure I keep coming back.

Thanks

Greg

Dave4pk
    Participant

Hi Greg like yourself, I also use Songbookdb and I love it, however I think Dex3 are planning of using something else instead. Songbookdb does what I need it to do and I’m happy with the price and how it all works. It would be good if both could be incorporated and give us the choice if at all this would be possible.

My punters all love Songbookdb as it’s so easy to use.

Dave.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Thanks Guys, we will consider SongbookDB – but not sure what the future holds for that product right now. Not many update, and I’m not certain the developer plans to continue to update it much longer. Great product agreed though!

mrmagoo
    Participant

Really want the copy back to side list and having it grayed out after it has played for 10,15 secs. Also want to be able to stop auto play like Ronzo has suggested. And another vote for being able to nest lists in a list. As in having a wedding list and then being able to put in event, background ect.

krazeedevil
    Participant

Would like The Karaoke History function restored as was in originally. I raised this issue a couple of months ago and was told it would be in the last update .

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Krazeedevil,

There has never been a karaoke history function in DEX 3? And we haven’t issued any statements about adding karaoke singer history to any update in DEX 3. Although this is indeed something we plan to ultimately do, we have other things we’re working on now.

“Really want the copy back to side list and having it grayed out after it has played for 10,15 secs.”

I agree with these items, too! Already firmly in the to-do list.

krazeedevil
    Participant

Sorry to contradict you Ryan but the karaoke song history was in Dex 3 that I have up until the update 3.6.0 . I raised a ticket with support regarding this ( Ticket No 652887 ) on 16 may And was told that it had been requested to be added to the next update . In the meantime I could revert back to update 3.5.7 if I needed to use the Karaoke Song History Function again

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Ah, do you mean that the karaoke songs you play show in the normal history LIST in DEX 3? Not with a singers name though, right?

That may indeed be the case, but that’s not what we plan for singer/song history for DEX 3. We want to store a history of all singers and what they sang, not just the karaoke track showing as played in history.

Curious (based on how it was in 3.5) how that would be useful for calling up a singers song history?

Support may have indeed sent the request to development but that doesn’t always mean they will be able to get to it asap.

Thanks!

krazeedevil
    Participant

Thanx for the quick reply , as I did use the Karaoke song history I will await the further developments as I don,t want to revert back to 3.5.7 and at the present moment I don’t need to use Singer History Thanx again

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Cool, I’ve just sent the request to development to see if we can indeed include karaoke tracks in history in the next update (no promise though 😉 )

Dave4pk
    Participant

Hi Ryan.
    So glad that you’ve added the Text feature to Dex3.
    Although I love the way it all runs so smoothly and love the way I can add my logo into a corner which is a great bonus, but is there any possibility of having a scrolling text facility added if at all possible?

I used to use this on Swift Elite 4 many moons ago and was the only feature in that program that was actually pretty good.

Over all though, this has been a tremendous update.
    Thanks again.

Dave

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback, Dave! Yes, animated/scrolling text is on our ‘to do’ 🙂

Mark
    Participant

It’d be nice to have another column added… one where we’d be able to click and arrange things in a numerical order. The comment column doesn’t allow for numerical arrangement. Besides… the “comment” column is usually filled with info from DJ subscription sites.

Cheers!

spinndoctors
    Participant

I’d love the ability to print my history, even better if I could print it per show. Also being able to create a new show (similar to new/saving a show function on Karaoki) I have clients that need to see a list of songs played before paying me and this would save time. Plus I know it is a standard feature on other DJ software thats out there.

Dave4pk
    Participant

I also liked facility to sort songs from the play counter which was a feature I often used on previous versions so that you could distinguish the good and not so good versions of duplicated tracks.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Thanks guys, we like these suggestions 🙂

You will have a way to export/print history (probably export to tsv so you can open in excel). I only know of one other DJ software doing something like that, but we agree it would be a nice addition.

Play count is also on our list.

djal
    Participant

I mostly do karaoke with filler music. I really would like to be able to have (SINGER SONG LISTS)
    It is a must have, when doing karaoke in pubs on a weekly basis!

I would like to have music playing and when I start a karaoke song, the music fades out and karaoke automatically begins. When karaoke song is over (or I stop it) the music automatically comes back on.

Thanks

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Thank you! We have plans to add singer/song history, a true rotation list and a way to set a separate playlists as the ‘filler music list’ – so we’re right there with you!

Greg Ellis
    Participant

Hi Ryan,

Not sure if this has previously been addressed or not, but what about integrating Chromecast (or one of the other similar devices) into DEX for Secondary Screen output? This would eliminate the possible trip hazard that a cable would pose as well as the limitations of distance. We could plug a Chromecast into the house TV’s HDMI port (if they don’t already have one) and either cast to it as the secondary display or mirror out secondary to it through casting to show our videos, Karaoke lyric screen, etc.

Just a thought

Greg

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Thanks Greg, we’ve certainly thought about it (or airplay with MAC) – but the concern is the inherent delay you get.

While it would be fine for just basic playback (automix etc), it wouldn’t work for hands on mixing (since actions performed with DEX 3 on your laptop would be delayed due to the inherent latency introduced with Chromecast).

I suppose it could be looked at and used during times you don’t need tight control over your mixes – for automix or just load/play scenarios.

I could see for karaoke how this may be a good idea – since you’d obviously also have to use the TV’s audio output (instead of your DJ controller/audio interface). So once again, probably only good for automix and karaoke since you have to use the TV’s audio signal (unless the Chromecast API/SDK allows you to decide if you only want video to output through chromecast and not audio). Will look into it!

spinndoctors
    Participant

I would like to be able to save a new user list or save an update to one with out closing Dex 3.

txtguitarplayer
    Participant

i would like to see SHOUTcast support particularly because in my long experience with streaming servers Icecast tends to be unreliable that would get me to move from virtual dj to dex

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Thanks – we do eventually plan to add support for Shoutcast, too (although I’ve had no problems broadcasting with icecast – using mixify.com regularly).

It honestly doesn’t seem our community, in general, is all that interested in online broadcasting. Very few inquiries regarding it, which I actually find surprising. It’s a great way to hone your skills in front of a ‘live’ audience!

We’ll get to it, eventually.

mrmagoo
    Participant

I have a number of things to either reopen or bring up new.
    1. Still want the ability to play from 2 lists.
    2.The remove from playlist on manual load.
    3.The played song notification after 15 seconds of playing, not when it is loaded to a deck.
    4.Right click to copy back to the playlist from a deck. So if you want to take a song out and play something else, but still want to use the song in the deck.
    5. When you take off autoplay have it automatically recenter between the decks.
    6. A way to turn off the art work I don’t care about it and would rather see the number of the song.
    7. I would like to be able to change the playlist numbers from count up to count down. I would like to be able to see how many songs I have in the playlist and see that number at the top. Since there is no total time counter like red 5.2 this would be nice for me as I can at least rough in what kind of time I have without having to scroll to the bottom all the time.

I will probably have more in the next little bit as I do a couple of more gigs.

mrmagoo
    Participant

8. Auto database save every 15 minutes. This is after having it crash after an hour and a half and losing a lot of work.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Thanks MrMagoo – all good, valid and doable suggestions. A number of these are already on our ‘list’.

Auto-saving of the DB won’t happen however, since realtime writing to the disk during a gig could lead to issues if there’s a disk write error. We may add a way to save manually (‘save now’). Ideally we’d figure out what caused the crash in the first place – any data on when (what you were doing) when that occurred?

mrmagoo
    Participant

Ryan, that info is posted in support forum under another shutdown. If it shuts down because of a write disk error what’s the difference in shutting down between that or clicking on the save button. You’re still shutdown. Some of those things like 2 and 3 should be done fairly soon.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Missing my point:You do not want real-time writing to the disk at all during live performance. It has the potential to cause MANY more issues and crashes etc.

What we need to figure out is WHY it crashed in the first place and fix that. Can you provide us with any specifics as to when/why the crash occurred? If we fix that, no need to have the software automatically write to the disk every 10 minutes (which could be disastrous – and just another thing to eat up valuable resources while in the mix)

The manual save button has been requested by many others – mainly for when they are setting up the software and building playlists (since it seems the one thing that can still cause a crash is a very corrupt tag/header – we have boatloads of error handling built in for various corrupt tags – but likely haven’t seen all possible variations that may cause issues (parsing the DB or the like) ). We need example files that cause the issue in order to write in error handling so it no longer causes a crash or the db to parse.

mrmagoo
    Participant

Ryan, I did not miss your point. I think you are missing my point. I don’t want to go any farther then this on here as it is a wishlist topic and needs to stay on track. Would be more then willing to discuss my point with you on something other then a wishlist. Again as I said in my previous post I posted the info on the crashes in the support topic (another crash) as I thought that would be the correct place to post that, not the wishlist. Will be happy again to answer questions the best that I can in that post.

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

That’s true indeed, although the very best place to post a crash report is to our ticketing system so it can be tracked entirely. I would do so here: http://dex3.pcdj.com/support/home

Back on topic: There will not be any automatic real-time writing to disk that’s entirely automatic – but possibly we can include an option to turn on automatic saving (with a warning, if done).

Thanks

mrmagoo
    Participant

I would be fine with a manual button that I had to push, I understand what your saying about the real time writing. Did not know about the ticket support will start using that in the future.

clint8100
    Participant

It would be nice to have the ability to take first song in playlist and quickly send it to the bottom of the list… similar to how you can take the last ones, double-click it, and send it up to the top.

Viewing 85 posts - 1 through 85 (of 109 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.