Back to DEX 3 Support Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Phat Man Blues
    Participant

I posted this in the DEX3 RM Support forum but thought I would try here, also. I need some advice and don’t know where else to turn. I do also have DEX3 but don’t use it for gigs as I prefer the RM version.

Here is my issue and questions:

Long time PCDJ user going back to Red and Blue VRM which I still have on my original (and working) DJ computer.

Right now I use most current version of DEX3 RE. I use the EBOX44 external sound card to connect my laptop to my Numark CDMIX Bluetooth mixer. Unfortunately, the EBOX44 sometimes stops working for no apparent reason. Sometimes a quick restart of DEX3 RE fixes the issue. Other times a restart of the computer fixes it. Still other times nothing works and I have to resort to going from laptop headphone jack to mixer which really taxes my system with me often raising volume and master gain levels to just about max.

I can’t seem to find any other external sound cards options (that I can tell anyway) that would work with DEX3 RM.

I often look at the recommended DJ controllers but have no idea how they work; if they can be used to connect my laptop to my mixer (I really like my mixer and don’t want to give that up); what other external sound cards might be an option; and/or if they would be worth replacing my current mixer.

I sure would like to hear from any of you new or seasoned PCDJ program users as to what you think.

Of course, would love to hear from Ryan or someone else at PCDJ who might be able to advise me.

ANY comments, ideas or suggestions GREATLY appreciated.

PMB

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Heya PMB!

Long time buddy, hope you’re good!

You can indeed use a DJ Controller, and they do typically have built in multi-channel pro audio USB interfaces (so you have headphone cuing directly from the device) – but not ideal if you want to use your own mixer. Almost all of the DJ controllers these days have built in mixers – they’re all-in-one.

The best option on the market right now, and a definite improvement over the Ebox 44 (and it works on Windows 8/19, unlike the ebox), is the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 – Check it out here

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Phat Man Blues
    Participant

Ryan,

Doing well, man. Hope the same for you and yours. Nice to chat again, too.

Thanks for the suggestion. That appears to be exactly what I’m looking for. Thanks for putting DJ controllers in very simple terms I can understand, also.

Based on your good word I just picked one up from Amazon. I can’t wait to try out.

I’m poud to STILL be a loyal PCDJ customer.

PMB

Phat Man Blues
    Participant

As a quick P.S. I’m hoping it will be easy to set up the audio interface through DEX3 RE BUT any guidance and/or suggestions greatly appreciated.

PMB

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Yes indeed! Select The “Focusrite ASIO” driver from the select audio device drop down menu. Then Deck A to 1/2, Deck B to 3/4. Put in a ticket in the box for “Disable crossfader and volume controls (external mixer mode)” and then make sure all other options (channel selections) are on none/no audio.

That should do it!

Phat Man Blues
    Participant

Fantastic. Device arrives tomorrow. On one hand sure seems like overkill for my needs but on the other hand if it works reliably AND provide quality sound to my mixer and my alto professional speakers and sub then I will be happy. Especially if I never have to use my headphone jack to connect to my system again.

If I wasn’t on the downside of my DJ career I might consider switching to a DJ controller but had to give up such a reliable mixer.

PMB

Phat Man Blues
    Participant

Received the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 a while back. Hooked it up once so far based on Ryan’s settings suggestions. Worked like a charm. A solid device. Will be using it shortly on an actual gig. Very excited to use something besides the EBOX44.

If you use your laptop like I do to connect directly to an external mixer than this device is definitely for you. Stop using your headphone jack and switch to the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4.

Also, very grateful to Ryan for the solid advice. He never steers your wrong even if you choose to go in another direction. His advice is always rock solid.

PMB

Ryan Sherr
    Keymaster

Dude, you’re too kind! 🙂 Happy to hear you’re a successful Scarlett 2i4 user — and thanks for your full report, sir!

Phat Man Blues
    Participant

Used the Scarlett 2i4 for the first time this past weekend and it worked like a charm. Solid device that did what I wanted it to without a hiccup. Thanks, AGAIN, for suggesting I pick one up!

WELL, one MINOR hiccup that I’ll mention now as I experienced it a lot with the eBox.

I use a simple power strip with on/off switch for each of the 10 plugs. I put 3-4 simple lights along with cordless mic, very small fan, mixer and 2 powered speakers. I use the on/off switches for lighting effects.

Occasionally it feels to me like a light gives a little “back surge” (I don’t even know if that is a term or possible) and I lose the audio for a brief time. The song is still playing but no audio. Then it returns (unlike the aforementioned eBox where it sometimes didn’t return at all).

Anyone have any ideas?

CapitalSound
    Participant

Hey PMB,
    I have been DJing for quite a while also. I saw your post about the audio drop-outs. I would probably get those powered speakers off of that switch panel. In fact I would take all of the audio equipment off of it. I use a power conditioner with a voltage display on the front. It is nice to see that the power at the venue is stable. If that doesn’t help, I would look at the laptop.

Also, I know you have the Focusrite 2i4, It looks very nice. Just for anyone else looking, I have had excellent performance from the ESI-Audio Gigaport HD. Which by the way, was refered to me from PCDJ at the time. They have since released a newer version, Gigaport HD+ in a aluminum case. Just wanted to throw my two cents in.

Phat Man Blues
    Participant

Thanks, CapitalSound. The power conditioner is a great suggestion and you just made me realize I have a Gemini pl-100 power conditioner stashed away. I have an easy gig tonight and I’m going to work that into my gear set up. I stopped using it years ago when I stopped using a rack-mounted system. Just fell off my radar until just now.

Also appreciate your comments on another external sound card option.

Your advice worth a lot more than two cents, too.

PMB

Phat Man Blues
    Participant

P.S. In fact that pl-100 also has a voltage display on the front. I always appreciated that visual of the stable and unstable power supply of the venue. I was using this MANY years ago DJing a wedding for the DJ boss of a company I worked for (I had previously trained him and his partner to be DJs).

Anyway his venue for the reception was a country location and they actually had to run about 1000 (yes, a THOUSAND at least) foot extension cord to the reception location. Out of the 20 red to orange to green lights for visual on power I had TWO red lights. Once the caterer plugging in the coffee pots we lost power for about an hour and a half. Most guests gone by the time they fixed it.

Ah, memories…..

PNB

CapitalSound
    Participant

Hey PMB,
    That sounds like a nightmare! I just had a wedding gig a few weeks ago that had a big floor standing air conditioner that, instead of having it’s own circuit, it was just plugged into the only string of outlets along the wall I needed to use. when I fired up my system, before even playing anything through it, the system started to freak out! Just started blinking on and off! I thought I had a bad amp in the system, as they were between 20 and 24 years old, I grabbed another amp. I had switched out the sub amp, but no change. I then realized the air conditioner was causing the power issue. I ran my power lines to the other side of the reception hall. Everything was fine after that. Whew! Thought I was up the creek! B-)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.